55 Years Ago - November 1961

<p>An IBM 7090 had performance of 100 kilo-flops/second, says Wikipedia. That's easily 10,000 times slower than a smartphone. <br>

It was made of discrete germanium transistors. It replaced the IBM 709, which used vacuum tubes.<br>

A typical 7090 configuration could be rented for $63,500 a month, or you could buy it outright for $2,900,000. (Most customers rented.)</p>

<p>I still have the huge 755 Balomatic slide projector somewhere in my basement. Used it maybe 5 times and it worked OK. Several writers had disdain for that machine however. I don't use slide projectors unless I get nostalgic and look at old slides. I must have 4 or 5 projectors now.</p>
Dan Deary

<p>It's amazing what one finds in the dealer ads; I came across a reference to a 58mm Taika Harigon f/1.2 lens, something I'd not encountered previously. My curiosity aroused, I went looking for information and now know quite a lot about the Harigon, a lens made for a very limited time and only in the Exakta mount. Now, of course, I <em>want</em> one...Thank you very much, <strong>Marc</strong>...</p>