TMAX 400 fogging issue...

<p>Hi Everyone -</p>

<p>I found four rolls of TMAX 400 in the back of my drawer and processed it the other day. I can tell by the subject matter that it was shot about 5-6 years ago. I processed it normally in Sprint developer and it has a fair amount of fogging - nothing so bad they can't be printed but it is noticeable. I kind of thought fogging wouldn't be an issue with film that was only shot 5-6 years ago. <br>

Does this sound normal? <br>

By the way, the film was not stored in adverse conditions. The temperature was consistent and was not high. </p>

<p>Thanks In Advance - Steve</p>

<p>I would have thought you would look pretty carefully to notice at 6 years.</p>

<p>I have used 24 year old TMY, and was not so surprised to see fogging, but even then they were still printable. </p>

<p>Many recommend HC-110 for older films to reduce the fogging effects.</p>

<p>You can post a scan, so we can see them.</p>

-- glen

<p>HC-110 contains Benzotriazole which suppresses the fog. However you will loose at bit film speed. You can also add Benzotriazole to most developers to suppress fog on old films/paper.<br>

As already told cosmic radiation will fog fast films in time. Putting in a freezer is already a better solution however only slow speed films (iso 25) you can store in a freezer over a long period (20 years) without noticeable quality loss.</p>

<p>Holding my 24 year old negative up to the screen, I roughly estimate it has three or four times the fog. so about right. </p>

<p>Mostly, I find that things that are supposed to be black have little white spots in them. </p>

<p>The old TMY that I have is in 120 form, and usually gets used in old cameras designed for slower films. If you increase the exposure one stop, you should do a little better, getting above the fog level. Otherwise, try to avoid images of things with large solid black areas. </p>

<p>Here is one from 20 year old TMZ at EI 3200, in HC-110 (B). TMZ is well known for not aging well, even frozen. </p><div>00eDIm-566207284.thumb.jpg.df28f627fbcac28b4b17faeca6d0909c.jpg</div>

-- glen