Weird lines on glossy side of sheet film...

mad1

<p>My first thought before posting is static electricity. Static electricity usually only leaves a few lines that resemble lighting as in an electrical storm where there are many fingers from a main streak.<br /> Manufacturing defect is starting to look possible. Have you checked with the store to see if anyone else is having similar problems?<br /> Scratching during handling or processing is another possibility but unlikely there would be that many scratches.</p>

<p>I'm not a fan of your tank of choice but unless its recently developed sharp edges along the top/load edge of the slots its unlikely the cause. If you have some of the same batch of film that is unexposed then process 1 sheet straight from the box being careful not to scratch it or rub it hard against anything. If it too is scratched the same then its manufacturing defect.</p>

<p>If there is any hint of chemical residue in the tank then scrub it clean and verify there are no edges sharp enough to damage/mark the skin of an over ripe grape.<br /> Check your film holders for fine grit although it would more likely scratch length wise not width wise.</p>

<p>Was the film handled while frozen?</p>

<p>You say that the emulsion side is "smooth". From that I would infer that the side in question is not smooth -- that is you already know that these are scratches. Is that true? If you don't know, please use a loupe (or ~50 mm lens) and let us know what you see.</p>

<p>If they are scratches, you are going to have to do the work to figure it out. I'm assuming that you are hoping to use more boxes of this film. First check one or two sheets fresh from the box. If they are OK, you'll need to take them through the process, checking for the problem after every step. With scratches, exposing the film to light as you check it should not affect the problem. When you know what step the problem occurs at, the explanation is likely to be easier to figure out. </p>