Mamiya C33 newbie questions

andrew_bone

<p>First time poster here. My KEH ordered C33 just arrived today, along with separately acquired 55mm and 135mm lens. I have a couple initial questions, and I'm sure more to come as I learn how to use this beast.<br>

My camera arrived with the 220 film back. I'm unsure if that means I cannot use 120 film without purchasing the 120 back? Can someone please confirm, or if there is a workaround?<br>

I notice the dial for lens selection doesn't have a 55mm option, but only 80, 105, 135, 180. Do I simply select the 80mm when using the 55?<br>

I have downloaded and read the manual, and also read Graham Patterson's very useful Mamiya FAQ, along with searching for both aforementioned subjects, to no avail.<br>

Appreciate any help provided. Thanks!</p>

<p>I believe the 55mms were originally packaged with a screen add on plastic sheet that showed the with them extended parallax or altered bellows factors(?) on a read here / look there base. - If you ever get that close, better use a Paramender on a tripod or compensate via center column cranking. If I still own that thing I don't know where.<br>

I luckily own the 120 back that I need. - In the C330 you can rotate the pressure plate to adjust it to 120 or 220 film. - The C33's 120 back has a red window.</p>

<p>The Mamiya C33 does not have interchangeable backs, but you can use 120 film by rotating the film pressure plate 90 deg. There should be an indicator on it.<br>

<br />As far as the lens is concerned, just put it on, don't worry about it. The dial is for parallax correction. The 55 is wide enough where that's less of an issue unless you focus REALLY close.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. My C33 definitely has the 220 back, its very clearly marked "FOR 220 FILM, Mamiya Japan" and has the rod extruding at the top right of the back. According to Graham Patterson's page:<br /> "A 220 back for the C33/C22 is known. The only example of a C33 with 220 back that the compiler of this document has examined appeared to be a factory modification with a second frame counter pressure tab. This tab was located beneath an extra cut-away on the upper right rear of the camera body, and a stud was provided on the 220 back to operate it."<br /> Well his description appears to be exactly what I have. Hopefully my pic attached shows up.</p><div>00eHKt-566919084.thumb.jpg.f48f58551679f6081b34dc164b2eca48.jpg</div>

IIRC the C33 pre-dated the introduction of 220 film.

Hence the need to have the camera factory

modified. I believe this is an irreversible mod that

makes the camera only suitable for use with (now

obsolete) 220 film.

You need to do more research to see if this is the

case, and if so your best course of action is to

return the camera for a refund.

Easiest option is to send the camera back in any case.

<p>Joe, my understanding is that the backs are interchangeable and it is not a irreversible mod, in other words the camera will still work with a 120 back. Looking on ebay and other sites every C33 pic I see has the notch cut into the body to facilitate the 220 back. I will call KEH tomorrow, see what they say....maybe they have a spare back kicking around. If I can just get a cheap back then I will do that. I'm not sure if the C22 back will fit, or C3? That would make it easier.</p>