Commercial Lab - what do look for

steven_chan3

I don't have time or resources to do my own developing so I need a lab

to do it. I'm a beginner at shooting B&W. I use mostly TMZ and

Tri-X.

What should I look for in a B&W lab? TMZ can be shot at different

speeds. How do labs usually handle this? Do they run each roll of

film separately? What should I look out for?

It looks like each film has it's own developing times (Tri-X vs Tmax

vs. etc) and is different depending on developer used. Are there labs

that will run your film differently depending on type? What should I

ask a lab before I hand over my film and what should I tell them?

Thanks for any help.

I would personally look for a staff that seems interested in what they're doing and doesn't have an "attitude".

A smaller pro lab might be able to actually be open to suggestion if you have any that will help them. The small pro lab that I worked in many years ago would batch process black and white film. They could vary times as needed but didn't typically use multiple developers.

Pro labs vary widely, from bad to excellent, though there are certainly few really good b&w labs around these days. I owned and operated a hand custom lab for decades, and personally hand developed every roll of film. The top lab in L.A. uses a a top dip-and-dunk processor for b&w and a single developer. I had 3 going all the time : Microdol-X, D-76, and Acufine for pushing. Certain pros who wanted special soups either furnished their own, or I stocked it if the volume warranted it, and for a modest surcharge in either case. The same applied to papers used. I was VERY quality conscious in all matters, and had the trust of my clients. I was there for my clients, and in all matters photographic. Occasionally, a new prospect would pick my brains about my standards and practices, and I shared freely, including a tour of the darkroom. I had many clients for nearly as long as I was in business, and many are now old friends. Good lab work is highly personal, and much is at stake for the shooter, as his livelihood depends on it. Any lab that is indifferent to your needs does not merit your custom. It's THAT simple, in my view.