Prime Lens for Sony Nex

richard_mauer1

<p>I use a Sony Nex 3N and love the size of the camera. The lenses are a bit expensive for Sony. I only have the kit lens, 18-55 AL 3.5 -5.6 Zoom. I like the lens, but am interested in a Prime lens. The fast Primes are too expensive, so I was looking at buying an older Nikkor 50mm 1.4. I know it would be like a 75mm 35mm lens, but I think I could live with that. Aside from the manual focus and aperture, and need for a mount, what do you think?</p>

<p>When I started photography back in the 70's I had a Nikon F2 with a 50mm 1.4 and loved it. I am at best an amateur. </p>

<p>Looks ok to me. I have a Canon EOS-M + Canon FD lenses + adapter. This is a somewhat similar setup to what you are thinking about. What I dearly miss is the viewfinder but in case of the Sony the fold out screen should compensate for that. Handling will probably be a bit like the twin lens reflex cameras of yesteryear. (I hate holding a camera at arm's length).</p>

<p>50mm on APS C is a wonderful focal length, which I like a lot. - No clue about Nikon and f1.4 lenses. Probably mirrorless is the right thing to mount them on since SLRs might be too challenged to get them focused. - I have one Pentax AF 50mm f1.4 that fails to impress me.<br>

If you aren't after an excessive lack of DOF, a 50mm f2 or the many in-betweens might be fast enough. There are the Helios with their swirl bokeh apparently worth exploring and there should be affordable sharp lenses too.<br>

If you are picking an M42 gem with auto / manual switch for the aperture it might be faster and more convenient to operate than other lenses offering you only the ring, frequently with too harsh aperture clicks meant for the different style of operating the ring when SLRs open up for focusing automatically or RF shooters aren't looking through their lenses but like being able to get everything set in thickest gloves.<br>

If you still owned your Nikon lens I'd say "Go for it; get that $20 adapter." Restarting from scratch I suggest figuring out what else is there waiting for you. I'd expect less popular heritage mount to be cheaper than Nikon. - I'd most likely be tempted to buy Sigma's current crop of bread & butter primes with AF, if I had Nex. But I might be off since I never handled Nex, only early Fuji where the EVFs seem too sluggish to make adapting manual lenses fun.</p>