Change to Less Complicate\ted Hardware?

bryce_l.

<p>In mid June 2014 posted in this forum of my dis-satisfaction with my own photography; end result sold all my gear. Did no more photography for some time; was observing the rapid demise of affordable E-6 slide film processing here in Canada; thought maybe if I returned on a digital basis it might inspire me to take up the hobby again. Purchased a Nikon D750, it felt good in my hand and appropriate glass and off I went. Incidentally i photograph only railways, never other items or living things (people).<br>

Of late due to increasing physical mobility issues have been once again been rethinking, why bother? Use a cane or a four wheel walker if I wish to move any distance or even stand track side and photograph a moving train.<br>

Was looking at one of the newer offerings from Nikon the other day, a bridge style camera with a permanently installed long to short focal length lens.<br>

Given my tendency to record only in JPEG and realizing as i age physically perhaps some form of lighter in weight all in one digital photographic device might be more practical. Find my mobility is rapidly declining due to physical issues, with no medically assisted relief in sight. Am seeing a geriatric psychiatrist to help with my physical and yes mental changes. Aging is not for sissies.</p>

Have found borrowed-from-friends smaller so-called point and shoot mirror-less cameras are often physically way too small to handle comfortably. My hands are enormous.

<p>Generally I do not share images with others; and if I did would probably do only as 4" x 6" prints. I photograph perhaps 150 images a month;, with the lamented loss of Kodachrome and colour slides the whole railway photographic world has changed. Many of my similar aged compatriots (over 70 years of age) who do not own nor desire to own a computer no longer do photography, or even own a cell phone for that matter. Of-times they review their massive collections of past railway colour slides dreaming of what was, then.<br>

Presently using Nikon D750/24-105mm zoom/70-200mm f4.0 /20mm f.2.8 hardware. <br>

Your thoughts, please.</p>

Rail enthusiasts are a large community. Perhaps seek out a group and participate in joint trips with some helpers of the younger set. It may be time to get up to speed on the computer and may find it can be easier than your friends may think...Was for me vs film, and less fuss to crop my own to size and tinker with it. A short course on an image program would be an idea if you feel you could profit from same. Equipment is the easy part to answer and the answers are legion. Motivation and mobility are way tougher for us to ponder. I am near 80-holy smoke- and shoot less and less but still get the bug, a virus I suppose I cannot kick now. Yes, if I get interested in something and can share it with somebody, it will go on.... I guess you know you are not alone in the getting older crowd with its little challenges. Or big ones.. Funny though, I personally made the transition to digital with no pain and no strain after decades with gelatin emulsions. And last thought. You may even just find a smart phone with a camera lens that fulfills your needs. Check the forum for that. I just watched a movie shot by son of a friend in the Carribean using a drone above his sailing yacht. Now that is what I call using robotics to do the hard work...think about that..

Let's see if this clip works as a link. Steve holding his drone control over his beautiful sail boat at sea down off the Bahamas. Steve is relaxing on deck with the controls of his drone camera doing all the maneuvering. Might be the ticket to some fun things, Bryce, what do you think?:

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzPdxvERv3UETGQwLU9wR0tTSUE/view

<p>Over the years I have owned a number of "less complicated" cameras, for engineering project documentation and entry level digital. My general impression has been simplicity at the expense of loss of control. Particularly annoying has been the tendency to revert to some programmed set of options, ignoring changes the user has made, each time the power is cycled. I also find it annoying to have dials with pre-programmed modes represented by ambiguous symbols, denoting such options as "portraits," "landscapes," and "closeups."</p>

<p>My reaction has been to ignore these features if possible, and to avoid buying cameras on which they appear. I admit that my Sony A7 cameras have these optons, but bury them in (endless) menus, and apply them only to JPEG images, which I eschew anyway. I would rather have a completely manual camera than one which makes most of my decisions for me. This is one of the reasons I used an Hasselblad 500 for so many of the photos which mattered to me personally (rather than professionally) for the last 15 years or so. On the job I'll take whatever help is offered, as long as I can steer it (e.g., aperture priority) in a meaningful direction.</p>

<p>Bryce,</p>

<p>So nice to realise that I am not the only one who eschews photographing people (after all, it only encourages them !) My major photographic interest is trains as well, though in my case only steam powered ones (in fact I am due to arise at 5 a.m. tomorrow to photograph a steam train leaving our local station, something I would never do in other circumstances !).<br>

Ageing and suffering minor mobility issues as I am, I am still currently using a DSLR with appropriate lenses, although I no longer take the full kit out on every trip ! I may need to follow your lead and assess the possibilities of a 'bridge' camera on which I can take full manual control if I so desire.<br>

You mention using a cane - I use one myself for normal day-to-day lurching about, but for photography I use a monopod, both for personal support and for the camera, which gives good results and counteracts any hand shaking which might otherwise be transferred to the camera.<br>

Best wishes<br>

Tony</p>

Interesting connection that is interesting, Charles. The skipper on deck in the video clip is a full time senior pilot for a major airline so knows his navigation and handling of aerial devices. He now lives on the well fitted boat with his wife. She helped him retrieve the drone he says,where it is close to the drink. Also a great seafarer. Sailing the world together when they get close to those retirement years.

Well Tony, I have obviously made people photography my special interest over the years. If anything my subject interests are what some say are "eclectic." That is not always a compliment. I have a multiplex mind and cannot read one book to a finish and keep a bunch of projects going to my wife's chagrin at times. Even photo projects and attractions pull me every which way. I like to think the world needs all types. So I respect the avid concentrators. (Who was the famous photographer that shot one tree again and again in all seasons...some big name. Diversity can come in small ways. He is welcome in the club or big tent and has lessons to teach us..)

<p>The drone is operated by the captain on the sailing ship, would expect the tiller is on auto-pilot. Must be nice to have the money and be able to have the health and the time to enjoy such a pleasure. <br>

Obviously Gerry I have no qualms using computers, have two iMacs and a hefty MacBook Pro; it is my much older in years friends who won't go near a computer. I do find though the youngsters (those less than 40 years of age) now communicate and take photographs with their telephones; it is almost a race to see who gets that special image or view that nobody else has obtained, oh and post same on one or two of those special websites. The young folk want nothing to do with us old parts; trust me, have asked. <br>

Am thinking Gerry of a friend, same age as I am minus a year who spends our Canadian winters in the Honolulu area for five months each winter. A retired farmer, he is single like me and enjoys his winters in an island location that is less expensive than here to live and there's no shovelling of snow. He does not take photos, of anything. <br>

I enjoy my winters; it makes me what i am I guess. 'Sides am unable to travel stateside, the cost of medical health insurance is prohibitive.</p>

<p>Tony Parsons:<br>

Consider yourself fortunate you have steam powered trains. Here in Southern Ontario at Canada the two major railways CN and CP only think of money. Hence as opposed to the UK where I assume you are, freight trains have as much or greater frequency than passenger trains. Two and three mile long freight trains hauling chemicals in tank cars, endless string of automobile carrier cars, often two or three miles of them. Then too neither railway wants steam power disturbing their business; both have effectively banned steam traction for excursions; no delays for any reason. Steam trains don't make money for the stockholder!<br>

As one person suggested in a private e-mail, do the photography for yourself, not for others. And if at some point you're not satisfied, stop. Nobody will care one way or the other. Good thought now that it has been suggested.</p>

<p>With respect, adapt if you still really want to shoot. Find a way. Lamenting the demise of E-6 labs is self-defeating and pointless: they closed because pros and their clients opted for the speed and flexibility of digital over a decade ago. The only E-6 service left in Toronto seems to be a guy with a JOBO in his garage/basement. It's freakishly pricey and nothing close to the quality and consistency pro labs once delivered.<br>

If you can afford it, have a look at Fuji and Olympus interchangeable lens cameras. Senior friends who've shot for years and who, like you, have similar issues with mobility and handling of cumbersome gear truly love these mirrorless cameras. Most found new subject interests that gradually let them reclaim the pleasure and satisfaction photography always gave them. Don't give up.</p>

I have a lot of slides, in three formats taken over decades. I mean a really large number. Kodachrome was great and its longevity is its best part as I look at it...so convert them to digital and have fun in the process. When I have no pressing desire to go outdoors or get in the car, I make digital copies and play with them. Crop or convert or adjust color, or re establish fading color. I have had some success with copying via a Canon bellows and slide copier. Getting it onto micro four thirds is still something of a problem with my FD 50mm macro. The angle of view means a crop, which sometimes works out just fine and sometimes not. Still fiddling with the copy thing. (Recall that Ansel Adams spent a lot of time printing and had specific goals there. And that was in a closed space with a safelight, not the Andes..)

<p>Sorry, Bryce, Should have made it clear - these are one-off 'Special' trains (as if steam could ever be anything else !), not regular service trains. Most of my railway photography is done on 'Heritage' lines - which for some reason make far greater profits than they ever did when run by accountants.<br>

Missed Saturday - leg decided not to work. No matter, hopefully this Friday (yes, two in one month - we are being spoiled !) will be better.</p>

<p>Tony</p>

<p>'Live Steam - die-sel'</p>