The Contax RTS Revisited

<p>Very nice write up and images Rick. I had the RTSII for a while. Got rid of it some years back when making the digital move. Last year when picking up an OM1 from the repair shop, they had a RTS with Planar 50mm 1.4, real time winder, Contax flash and electric cable release for $300. Could not resist. </p>

<p> </p><div>00eGWC-566765884.jpg.3e9fc6b30ae24a56af08c37bbd3744d4.jpg</div>

<p>Rick,</p>

<p>Another great write up. You were able to convey in three paragraphs all I needed to know about this camera. I can appreciate it from afar. </p>

<p>It is like a number of other classic cameras. You can appreciate the form, function, and design while realizing it is not the camera for you. </p>

<p>Thanks for sharing.</p>

<p>Thanks, M<strong>arc</strong>, always a pleasure. So many cameras, so little time, but it's nice to share some of the more interesting ones. Thanks, <strong>Jeff</strong>, for your usual informative input; I've had no trouble with FR-1 winding, to date, and as I said I tend to prefer it to the RTS as a user. Good buy, <strong>Steve</strong>; I'd like the Contax winder but I have a couple of the Yashica versions so I can't really justifying buying another.</p>

<p>Thanks <strong>David</strong>, <strong>Martin</strong> and <strong>John</strong> for your input; good responses such as these make these posts a valuable source of future reference.</p>

<p>I had an RTS II for a few years, following on from ownership of a Yashica FX-D, which I still own and use. I only ever owned the 50 f1.4 AE though - the glass was out of my league. I eventually sold it as the electronics would ultimately fail and leave me with a Porsche designed paperweight. Superb camera to use though, and it looks great, with a heft that instilled confidence when taking photos down dark alleys.<br /> Personally, I really liked the meter on/off switch on the front of the body. It turned itself off after 16 seconds, most of the time, by which you had taken your shot. It fell immediately under the finger, so I got used to pressing it as the camera came to my eye. You couldn't forget to turn it off, so no drained battery (unless you had the exposure lock on, its one fault). Using them now, I guess the way to go is to get the Zeiss glass and shove it on an FX-D or other cheap Yashica body that are abundant on ebay. When it dies, buy a new one.<br /> I had an FR-1 for a while too, but not realising it needed the wind-on lever in the out position to turn the meter on, it didn't suit me as a left eye viewer, and after a few black eyes, (and a solid repair of the frame counter - thank you Cees de Groot) it went the way of many others to ebay. A shame as it was to my mind the equal of the RTS in build quality. Incidentally, I think all manual Nikons are the same with the lever out/meter on combo, unless anyone knows different?<br /> <br /> Now, the Contax N1, still relatively 'new' maybe the electronics might be still relied upon? Tempting!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Please just let me know if they become monotonous or repetitive!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No chance of that <strong>Rick</strong>. Reading your comments about the various cameras you've used and seeing what you do with them is a delight. Thanks so much for the effort you put into your posts, too, this speaks for itself.</p>