Canon pricing

mark_pierlot

<p>I'm delighted that Canon is finally addressing the dynamic range "issue" with its new generation of sensors, but I am confused about the pricing of the new bodies. </p>

<p>Here in Canada, the 80D currently costs $1450 (sans lens), while the 5D IV is a whopping $4500, or over <em>three times as much</em>. The price ratio in the US is similar: $1200 to $3500. This pricing differential seems unreasonable, does it not? I know, I know. Pricing is determined by what the market will bear. But can the market bear it in this case?</p>

<p>While I am definitely interested in the 5D IV, I think I'll just hold onto my 5D II till the price of the newer body comes down to a saner level, or wait till the 5D V comes out. ;-)</p>

<p>I am tempted by the ultra-high pixel count versions more than the 5Div, but the simple truth is that the 5Dii I currently have serves all my rational needs. I bought it when it was on sale after the 5Diii came out, so I am a 'trailing-edge' adopter, for sure. Unless you have special needs, I recommend the strategy.<br>

I think that the various Japanese manufacturers (not just Canon) have historically tried to stabilize their US prices. Even without VAT, many cameras just seem to be more expensive outside the USA.</p>

<p>Then, too, I heard that the last person who tried to figure out Canadian pricing is now a resident of the Vancouver Home for the Very, Very Nervous. ;)</p>

<p>I very much doubt the markup on any camera isn't huge compared to cost of manufacture, probably the reason behind digital rot short of 'old camera' stigma <br>

Maybe they're lower in the US also because Americans better know the value of the cameras? Who can say for sure, especially with how expensive some are becoming</p>

<p>I think you're running into a combination of the professional markup endemic to the camera industry, and the brutal math of semiconductor yields. The short is a full frame sensor doesn't cost 2.25 times as much as a 1.5 crop factor sensor, but 2.25*(1/yield)^2.25 times as much. So if say half the crop sensors on a wafer have a defect and are bad, then there are more than 3 bad full frame sensors for each good one AND they take up 2.25x the space on wafer so good and mistake each cost that much more to make. My wildly inaccurate napkin math says the cost of a full frame sensor ranges anywhere from one to a few thousand dollars just for that core part.</p>

<p>Just to clarify, the "price differential" to which I'm referring is between the price of the 80D and that of the 5DIV, and <em>not </em>between Canadian and US prices. In both Canada and the US, the full frame body costs around <em>three times</em> as much as the crop body, which is what I find alarming.</p>

<p>JDM, I think I am going to adopt your strategy. In fact, apart from its relatively poor low ISO DR, the 5DII suits my needs perfectly, so I can definitely wait to "upgrade.".</p>

<p>Mark, you are indeed correct. I, too, do not think the MkIV is particularly good value, but Canon have always priced the 5D series at this price on introduction, and they clearly plan to do so as long as they can. For most people the 80D/7D II or the 6DII will be a more sensible deal. There is a similar cost structure in place at Nikon. I don't think there is much we can do about it. The Pentax K-1 and the Sony A7II are considerably cheaper, but one assumes that Canon believe their name and system is worth the premium. I suspect they will be proved right. I expect the camera will start being discounted by a few hundred at Christmas and beyond, although it will always be pricey.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>LOL Mark, that's up to someone with an 80D to post. With a little luck, it'd be possible to get close, but that's the point, the 5D4 is designed for this kind of shot. Shooting kids around the house to post to FB, there's no difference. It would be a waste of money to investing in capabilities that you'd never use; however, if you need those features, mainly super-duper AF, then don't invest the money. If you do need it, then it's a bargain. </p>