Suggestion re selling 24-105 and 24-70 and upgrade to Tamron

h_._jm

<p>Dear Photographers and hobbyists;<br>

I have 7 pro lenses of Canon; some lenses are used only once a year! For a hobbyist that is such a waste of money and space.<br>

I am planning a long term redevelopment programs to my lens line up! :) aiming to improve quality and reduce number of lenses<br>

of the many review sites I trust photozone and Dxo most;<br>

So I have these two lenses which serve identical or at least similar purpose:<br>

24-105 F4 L IS<br>

24-70 2.8 L<br>

I am thinking of selling both and upgrade to the Tamron 24-70 VC<br>

Now before you all attack me for my rudeness suggesting it's an upgrade; DXo supports me and so is photozone...<br>

DXO gave these ratings to these lenses:<br>

24-70 2.8 L 27/50<br>

Tamron 24-70 VC 32/50<br>

24-70 2.8 L II 335/50 (having said that Sharpness here is LEAGUES ahead of the other two lenses)<br>

Plus getting an IS in a 2.8 everyday use lens is awesome!<br>

So given price point of $1000 for my current 2.8L and the Tamron; it seems like a no brainer; plus it's 150 grams lighter than my current "Brick"<br>

Any thoughts very welcome;</p>

<p>Regards<br>

Peter</p>

<p>Go ahead. It makes perfect sense. No need to be defensive. I have the 24-70 2.8 II, so I have no need of the Tamron, but I certainly would have considered it if it had been around when I bought my zoom. Don't put too much stress on DXO mark though. Like many of these rating sites, it's very silly to reduce the whole of a lens' performance to a few numbers.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Choose your lenses on the basis of what you prefer, not what we thing you should have.</p>

<p>The only concern I would have is that future bodies may not communicate properly with your Tamron lens. This happened some years ago with certain Sigma lenses. Canon made a modification compatible with their prior lenses, but not with all of those from Sigma. Sigma ultimately modified existing lenses for their customers.</p>

<p>I have a very big suggestion. Go into a store if you can and handle the Tamron lens. There are a world of intangibles regarding lenses and how they feel/handle, and the direction they focus. How does it feel to you? I use both the Canon 24-105mm and the 24-70mm 2.8 II. They are both very serviceable lenses that have good color fidelity that matches my other Canon lenses. I like having the two lenses so that if one acts up when I am doing something critical I have a backup. I would probably be very content with some of the Tamron and Sigma offerings. Any way whatever gets your creative juices flowing is okay by me. Good luck!</p>

<p>Gil makes a good suggestion but I'd take it a step further and rent the Tamron and do a direct comparison in your shooting circumstances.<br>

While Photozone, and/or DXO are probably accurate on the testing of lenses as far as I know they don't use them over an extended period where the (assumably) better build quality of Canon L glass might pay dividends.<br>

JD</p>

<p>I just purchased a Canon 5D Mark III and a Tamron 24-70 VC because I really wanted the image stabilization on the Tamron and the reviews were pretty good. Unfortunately, the brand new lens would not communicate with the brand new camera. The contacts were fine, so it was some kind of computer problem and other Tamron users have reported the same problem. I never got it to work, so I sent the Tamron back and purchased the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 which works just fine. Just sayin'....</p>

<p>Try as I might, I having trouble seeing the "upgrade" in direct comparison. You can see direct comparisons at The-Digital-Picture.com The Tamron is impressive, indeed, but doesn't seem to best the Canon at any focal length or aperture that I tried.</p>

<p>Thanks guys; </p>

<p>The points Dave raised; made me think twice about this whole thing...<br>

I mean my 6D does the job; but I wasn't impressed by Other brand cameras having better dynamic range than Canon's latest 5DIII/6D and so was waiting for the next camera they release to decide on an upgrade...<br>

So if Tamron glass today may not work smoothly with future Canon cameras that pretty much solves it for me.<br>

I will choose one of the two Canon lenses I have and that's it; but I may still rent the Tamron and check it out.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>If you do check it out would you kindly let us know what your reaction is relative to your Canons. I have the 24-105 which is decent but not perfect, but the thing I appreciate is that I don't have to keep changing lenses when walking around with the camera. Its good to have a single pro quality ( well just) lens that gives you 75% of your photographs. I do find that the 24-105 seems to perform better with the 5Diii than it did with the 5D or even 5Dii, but that's likely a calibration thing rather than a lens quality comment.</p>

<p>I'll repeat my broken record one more time, in case some haven't heard it. Unless you're using some sort of Digital Lens Optimization in your Raw conversion, you're not getting the most out of you zoom lenses. Digital Photo Profession, LR, DxO Optics Pro and others all have DLO adjustments backed into their Raw conversion process, IF you'll enable it and download the appropriate modules. DLO corrects for geometric distortion, chromatic aberration, vignetting, etc., at every focal length and every aperture.</p>

<p>Several years ago, I was ready to send my 24-105mm into Canon for inspection and adjustment when I started using DxO Optics Pro for my Raw conversion. The quality of my files took a huge leap forward, immediately after adopting DxO. The IQ rivals primes in many cases. In the case of DPP, DLO is free. Anyone using zooms, particularly wide zooms, owes it to themselves to try DLO, with whatever Raw converter you use.</p>

I never handled the Tamron, but after selling my original 24-70 I thought I never go back to that focal length. The 24-105

covered my need for IS and otherwise I was committed to fixed focals. Then I had a repair issue that led me to

purchasing the 24-70 Ver. II and what an amazing lens this is. It's proven very reliable, weather resistant, optically great

and besides the Otus, my best lens next to the 70-200 2.8 IS II. So I highly suggest an upgrade, if it's Tamron or Canon

that's up to you, but I have no reservations recommending the Canon to anybody taking photographs, up to the most well

respected pros working today.