POTW_March 24th, 2016

Sanford

<p>My daughter participated in National History day last week, doing a presentation on Led Zeppelin. We were inexplicably told to be there an hour before the scheduled presentation time. So we sat there twiddling our thumbs for 60 minutes. We got bored and drew on the board. Most of the good drawings are hers. </p><div>00dqhf-561910984.jpg.d2b1031df9d90f288f10909c3bbcc383.jpg</div>

<p>@<a href="/photodb/user?user_id=127625">Sanford Edelstein</a> I didn't pick her topic nor participate in her presentation construction in any way. I am not convinced Led Zeppelin meets the theme of "exchange" but her defense was that nobody played like them before, thus, rock was "exchanged" for heavy metal.</p>

<p>I, too, am surprised that Led Zep would constitute the subject of a serious presentation, particularly in the US. Although I have to say there seems to me to be greater worship of both Led Zep and the Stones, for example, in the US than back in their native UK. Quite an interesting thesis. At my school (when Zep were in their prime), the whole idea of talking about popular music "officially" would have been anathema.</p>
Robin Smith