Nikon film SLR recomendation for remote wildlife photography

kyle_declerck1

<p>Edward Ingold; with Energizer Lithium disposables, I would get 15-25, 36 exp. rolls of Kodak NC160 a month for six months in my F5's. That would be between 90-150 rolls of film. As far as rechargeables, I was using Energizer rechargeable NiMh cells at the time. Lithium's if available would probably last longer, but they weren't around back then ten years ago.</p>

<p> Sorry that I responded so late but I have been working 12- 15 hour days as of late.</p>

<p>Back in 1998, I took my F5 to Antarctica, during the Antarctic summer. Temperature was around freezing (0 Celsius, 32F); it was not that cold. I used 8 Lithium AAs, and they lasted around 30 rolls or so. In warmer climates, 8 Li AA would last 50 rolls.</p>

<p> Shun; I would keep logs of the batteries life as matter of my shooting log. I also would set the camera's meter on time at the shortest duration and very seldom use the LCD backlight and rewind the film manually. Maybe I got two F5's that were perfect in their assembly and parts. As a side note, I made a cold weather remote battery pack by taking a MS-30 battery tray and soldered a five foot two conductor power cord to it and the other end to a eight AA cell battery holder that I would keep in my coat. I don't have that battery tray/pack any more, but if you're interested I can get it to send you a picture of it. I also made a heated coat for the camera out of battery powered heated socks. Got that idea from NASA.</p>

<p>I stand corrected. I bought my F5 shortly before getting a used D1x, and never used the F5 for travel or huge events. Out of abundant caution, I recharged or replaced the batteries before each use. Part of that was from my experience with an F100 on a tour of Europe with an orchestra. It took 4 AA cells, which would die after 4-5 rolls.</p>

<p>The F5 was Moose Peterson's favorite, and he traveled to the ends of the earth with them.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Just for fun you can add a Nikkormat body, an FT2 or FT3 for very little cost. They are super cameras, tough as nails and they just keep running.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

The FT3 is AI, the FT2 isn't, so I would go for the FT3. A little harder to find, but not all that expensive when you do. <br>

<br>

As well as I know it, the FT3 is the predecessors to the FM, and the EL2 the predecessor to the FE. Similar in many ways, but heavier. I have both FT3 and EL2 that I got from Goodwill, and both seem to work fine, no CLA. At the prices I pay for old cameras, it doesn't make sense to CLA them. </p>

-- glen

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Honestly you can't go wrong with an F2. One of, if not <em><strong>the</strong></em> most reliable and rugged all mechanical 35mm SLR ever built. I still have one I got in 1974 and I will bet I have put a mile of film through it in the last 40 years. And it has been to the shop TWICE, for routine CLA's. That's it.</p>