Transferring 120 film from 620 spool to 120 spool without changing bag?

<p>It has to be REALLY dark. Put your head there for 10 minutes, if you can see anything, it's not dark enough. I have used a closet at night, with a towel stuffed under the door.<br>

You can get a real changing bag for under $15 on eBay, from vendors in China and Hong Kong.<br>

If you want a <em>good</em> changing bag, get an old Burke and James Rexo No. 0.<br>

Remember to put the film back on a 120 spool, unless you 100% trust your lab to return the 620 spool, <em>and</em> you 100% trust yourself to ask them to do that.</p>

<p>Consider getting a changing "tent". A changing bag is just that: a flat double bag with zippers and arm sleeves. A changing tent is larger and has a collapsible frame which gives you working room inside.</p>

<p>When you use a changing bag or tent, wear gloves. I prefer cotton gloves used by workers in photo labs, but latex (or whatever) gloves work too. Your hands get sweaty inside the bag, which can leave fingerprints on the film and make it uncomfortable to work.</p>

<p>Brian - light will still leak under the door unless you stuff it with a towel. John had the right idea - go in there for 10-15 minutes for your eyes to properly acclimate to darkness and ascertain if there are any light leaks. When I served aboard aircraft carriers, all bridge and deck personnel and pilots typically had to take about 10 minutes to get acclimated, and then frequently wear red goggles in case anything other than red lights came on (regular light diminishes visual purple in the receptor cells of the eyes - preventing you from having good night vision).</p>

<p>Changing bags from China are cheap, and mine seems to be pretty good quality.</p>

<p>After I put my arms in, I open one of the arm holes a little, and suck air in. (A stainless steel developing tank is heavy enough to pull the bottom down. A roll of film might not be.)</p>

<p>Do remember that the film is only taped on one end. I have only done it once. The forward rolling is pretty easy, but when you go back onto the 620 spool, you have to get the film to spool along with the paper, and without tape to hold it. </p>

<p>Some cameras allow for a 120 source spool, though needing a 620 take-up spool. Check for this before you go to the work of respooling. And there are some that allow for either one.</p>

-- glen

• 3 weeks later...