Camera upgrade question - Move to Nikon?

Aleem

<p>I would like to upgrade from my old Digital Rebel XT DSLR which I've had for 10 years. Other than a standard kit lens, I have been using a 50mm 1.8 prime lens, so I guess I'm not hugely invested in the Canon system</p>

<p>I would like to upgrade to a full frame camera and purchase some better zoom lenses, I'm thinking perhaps 70-200 f2.8 and 24-105, both possibly in Tamron/Sigma form rather than Canon</p>

<p>However, I'm stuck on the body. Looking at the 6D, seems quite old now and it seems Nikon seem have more modern versions and choice in this price bracket</p>

<p>Ideally I would like to upgrade within the next week or so as holidays coming up, I appreciate the 6D is due upgrade next year but don't think I can wait that long</p>

<p>I would be grateful on advice whether prudent to switch to Nikon for the better choice of full frame cameras particularly at the 6D sort of price point or any Canon suggestion</p>

<p>Many thanks</p>

<p>If you are ever going to switch, now would be the time. Once you start investing in more expensive bodies and lenses, it soon gets very expensive to switch systems.</p>

<p>However, I would strongly recommend that before you go to either a full-frame Nikon or Canon, you actually get hold of one of each and try shooting with them.</p>

<p>The main difference among the various systems is not how "modern" one or the other is, it's much more a question of style and "feel". You've been somewhat "imprinted" on Canon with your XT, but the operating system on the large Canons is not all that similar, IMO, so either Nikon or Canon would involve some adjustment of your practice.</p>

<p>You should also consider a simple upgrade to the newest "Rebel" body, where you would have much more "comfort" with the camera from the start. "FF" and "Crop" are more different formats than one is an "upgrade" of the other. FF lenses will typically be more expensive, though that's not a big concern for most people.</p>

<p>At any time, T, Canon may be "ahead" (~more 'modern') of Nikon, but after a few months they will switch places for a few more months, and so on...</p>

<p>I shoot Nikon, but usually discourage Canon users to switch because of the cost of giving up on bodies and lenses, and because both systems are excellent. But as you said, you don't have a lot invested in Canon, so that switching could make sense for you.</p>

<p>As long as you follow JDM's advice to make sure you are comfortable with the way the camera works in your hands, you would do well with a body in the same class as the Canon 6D, the Nikon D750. I am very happy with the way my D750 works. The quality of images at both low and high ISO, the wonderful autofocus system, have made using this camera a delight.</p>

<p>The one concern I would have is if you think you might be using DSLRs for video in the future. Overall, although I don't know the 6D, Canon has made a stronger commitment to video than Nikon. Other than that, I would go for it.</p>

<p>I agree with JDM, if you are going to switch camps, do it now before you are too invested in lenses. Try out the cameras before you buy. The 6D is a nice camera but the Nikon D750 would beat it. I always liked how Nikon is able to bring stuff out of the dark in post with less noticeable noise. That had me thinking about switching camps but I am very invested in Canon lenses. The 5D Mark IV has greatly improved the Canon low light noise performance but at $3499 US, that may be more than you wanted to spend. I know with the 5D Mark IV I just purchased, I no longer want to switch camps. </p>

<p>If you wanted to wait for the 6D MK II you may see a big improvement. But if you need to switch now, the Nikon D750 would be a better camera you would probably love.</p>

<p>Canon has some great lenses though, but if you are looking to Sigma and Tamron lenses then you can get those for Nikon too. </p>

<p>Do try them both, feel them, look at the layout of controls, but remember once you shoot with any camera for a few days you will get used to the layout, shoot some sample shots and compare on a computer. There are also a lot of YouTube videos comparing them.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

Cheers, Mark

<p>There's really no point in switching. They keep leap-frogging each other with regard to this or that feature.</p>

<p>Canon has a reputation for being better with sports or other action shots, and Nikon has a reputation for being better with high ISO in low light. Are these reputations warranted? I really don't know for sure.</p>

<p>My guess is that you pretty much get what you pay for with both brands.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I'm based in the UK, the other option is the price difference between the D750 and Canon 5D Mk 3 is £100, £1699 vs £1799 respectively.</p>

<p>Does this alter things? Is the D750 still the one to go for?</p>

<p>In fact looking at Amazon UK, the D750 can be purchased for £1558 vs £1799 for the Canon 5DMk3<br />, £241 differece</p>

<p>Ps. the Amazon camera could be an imported model, are there any issues with this?</p>

<p>Both systems are good, it is matter of personal preferences. I switched to Canon because I just didn't like Nikon color reproduction, too much of blue and reds were brownish, but again it is mine opinion and experience, yours could be different. Try before you buy.</p>

<p>Both Nikon and Canon make state of the art cameras and lenses. From my perspective the key differences are: modern Nikon bodies can use directly old manual focus lenses - canon can do it only with adapters. Canon has modern autofocus super fast 1.2 lenses - Nikon does not.</p>

<p>You just have to try them out in person. There is no substitute. A point worth noting is that Canon lenses generally are 10-15% cheaper than Nikon across the board (at least in the US), although there are occasional exceptions. As a follow up to Thomas K: Canons can fit virtually any lens made for an SLR camera on their bodies with an adapter (including Nikon, but excepting Canon FDs), but Nikon cannot.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>being better with high ISO in low light</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't think this is really true. Nikon (Sony) sensors' strength is higher dynamic range, particularly at lower ISOs.</p>

Robin Smith