Nikon Camera Serial No. 8186679

erik_christensen3

In the US, Nikon USA DSLR serial numbers should start with a 3, but there are exceptions. My D2X starts with a 2. One

starting with an 8 is intended for the U.K. market. See this discussion on Thom Hogan's web site:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/camera-articles/nikon-camera-serial-numbers.html

Camera serial numbers are unique for each model only. The same serial number may be used on different models. E.g.

There could be a 300001 for the D7000, D7100, and D7200. That was why I was puzzled by the original question.

<p>Sorry I have been too slow, as a friend of me has already bought the D7200 in question, and<br>

I am likely to receive it in 3-4 days when returning home.<br>

I can now only cross my fingers that it is functioning in all areas – genuine or fake – in the latter<br>

case I can then only be “happy” that the price was very low, which there may be a reason for. May be learning <br>

money to a naiv guy<br>

I will revert with a photo of the plate with the Serial No. and state the number of actuations, <br>

case it is a second hand, which will be contatry to the description on Ebay.<br>

I noticed that the numbering shown for D7200 in the <a href="http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/camera.html" target="_blank">http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/camera.html</a> specification<br>

has a question mark, which may indicate, that there has been some unusual things happening here.<br>

It is bought from: photovideo4less (71887)</p>

I'd heard of the "fake" thing before, but hadn't really

worked out how it could be economical to make a "fake"

DSLR - at least, one that works. The above story

suggests it's genuine Nikon but rebadged for a different

region, which may make sense if an importer can buy

them more cheaply elsewhere and wants to pretend

they're not grey market. Nikon prices in the UK are

generally high, but a lot of that is tax and import duty -

Nikon may actually be pricing the cameras low enough

that a dodgy import early enough in the supply chain is

worth the importer doing this. I'd check your local Nikon

service centre will repair it, though.

Incidentally, I believe I've been told (as part of a training

course on competition) that under EU law you're not

allowed to refuse to service something based on where

it was sold - if I'm not confused, Nikon USA's policy of

not servicing grey market cameras isn't something the

EU service centres can do. But I could be wrong.

<p>Andrew Garrard - yes import prices may have something to do with serial nos. belonging to other countries turns up various places. My D700 many years ago is a Korean (I live in Vietnam) so when I told the shop my Korean was a little rusty, he smiled and said: give me an hour then I have a manual in English.<br>

Regarding a possible repaid/maintenance then I am not worried at all, as by now I am very good friends with the Manager of the Nikon Technical department. The Korean D700 has been there many time incl. cleaning of the sensor, which is not worth doing my self, as it cost abt. USD 6-7 !</p>

<p>Some of the "fakes" might be "Franken-nikons" by parallel to the Contaxes made up of various camera parts (including Kievs). That is, two or more trashed cameras might be combined and 'reanimated'. I suspect that is more common than fakes built from scratch.</p>

<p>Hi, I'm responsible for the information at <a href="http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/camera.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/camera.html</a> <br>

I don't get information from Nikon, the serial numbers are only what I have been able to piece together from details sent to me by various photographers, or used cameras I see on ebay. As such it is very likely to be incomplete, especially for new models. Most of my information is heavily biased towards the USA, UK/Europe and Japanese markets, very little from other regions such as Asia, South America etc. So the fact a D7200 turns up with a 8xxxxxx serial number that is not on my list is hardly surprising, it may come from a region I have not come across yet. If there is an original warranty sheet or box which tells me which region the camera belongs to, I will be happy to add it to my list.</p>

<p>I also add, that while researching the camera serial numbers, I have come across a few grey market cameras where the serial number label on the base appears to have been replaced with a fake number. I have no reason why, it's grey market so not covered by Nikon warranties anyway. The camera itself is not fake, they all come from the same factory, it's only who sells and supports the camera that is different.</p>

<p>You need an extensive factory, technologies, and suppliers to manufacture DSLR cameras and lenses. Counterfeiters maybe able to produce fake batteries and perhaps vertical power grips, producing an entire camera is a different story. The fake ones mentioned on Nikon's web site is about faking a D800E out of a D800 type re-badging.</p>

<p>The D7100 and D7200 are similar enough that maybe there is a chance that someone can rebadge a D7100 as a D7200 and sell it for a little more. It should be fairly easy for the buyer to verify.</p>

<p>With the plummeting value of the pound after the madness of the Brexit referendum, it's possible that a canny trader might have picked up some UK sourced cameras at a bargain dollar or euro price before Nikon UK hiked prices to compensate. Can someone with a D7200 confirm that the serial number on the camera matches the internal serial number in the EXIF data? I've tested a random sample image found online using this site:</p>

<p>http://regex.info/exif.cgi</p>

<p>and get a 4xxxxxx number in the Serial Number field of the MakerNote. This looks like a standard Nikon serial number, so I assume it should indeed match the number printed on the camera. If this is correct, Erik might want to do the same test when he receives the camera to check for a mismatch that would suggest tampering.</p>

<p>I have now tried various functions of the camera and to the <br>

best of my knowledge it is behaving as it shall according to the manual – I have not tried video however, as I do not know enough about that. Never used it and not interested in it.<br>

I have contacted both the seller and Nikon USA and both parties says it is a gray market model, for which reason the seller now offered a 3 years insurance cover.<br>

I have just tried if the serial no. is included in the exif data using Irfanview and reginfo, but that is not the case, and the same with my D810, unless there is something in the setup of the camera, which I have missed on both cameras.<br>

I will leave the matter as is, and thank all of you for your comments. Did learn something new -:)</p>