Nikon Wednesday 2016: #40

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your image under 700 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are <strong><a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">right here</a></strong>:<a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km</a>. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three images per week, so share some work!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Howdy Nikon people. Hope the autumn weather is starting to kick in for many of you, but especially hope that any of you on the southeast US coast are well prepared for this week's hurricane. Be careful out there - no spectacular Nikon Wednesday shot is worth your life! Meanwhile, here's a shot from the safety of a window-lit kitchen table, where a bit of web-oriented product photography was taking place. Looking forward to everyone's work this week. Share!</p><div>00eAQj-565713584.jpg.e558debeec9e9c4c99d94797bf0ceef9.jpg</div>

<p>I was hanging about an airport last Friday waiting for a flight home when I bought a photographic magazine from the news stand. There was an article about shooting the milky way and the night sky which caught my interest. This is a field which I have never tried before and two days ago we had a wonderful clear crisp night so I grabbed my d750 with nikkor 24-70 lens and walked over to a quiet dark place about 5 minutes from my home. Found it extremely difficult to obtain infinite focus and I think that is something which will need much practice.<br>

However, I took a few shots of stars and then turned the camera to the North and lo and behold I managed to see the aurora borealis. Not great... but ok for me. The lights which are seen at the bottom are on a peninsula. There is no town, city or village behind<br>

Went out again last night to the same spot but the aurora was not active</p><div>00eARI-565715084.jpg.14c0ba87c0c91375ba2edc673102523f.jpg</div>

<p>Nice scenery, everyone - Tim, I think you're channelling Ansel!</p>

<p>My holiday had got to San Fran. Much as I'd like to show you more bits of pretty Yosemite geography, I'm treating this as an exercise in editing myself down to three images per venue, so you get British weather and the Goldengate. I've seen the Severn Crossing looking like this...</p><div>00eASB-565718184.jpg.8260a4b2376be888849ef6de6fcf91e2.jpg</div>

<p>Ronald: Very nice. All I get is magpies, which are mostly good as a dynamic range test.<br>

Anyway, the Golden Gate (oops, apologies for concatenating above) eventually got a little more light on it. A little. To be honest, this probably wasn't worth getting held up and not meeting Shun (sorry!) - but at least the weather made me feel at home. Yay for being a tourist.</p><div>00eASD-565718384.jpg.868d6fed272a80aabf123008db771bb4.jpg</div>

<p>@<a href="/photodb/user?user_id=4303235">Andrew Garrard</a> thanks! I shoot so many brands I seldom know what's going to be on which thread. Tomorrow won't be a puppy picture though. I have a chicken pic I simply have to share.</p>

<p>I recall when that statue was made. I was either in the Navy or just out, and the controversy was raging on the sailor's hands being in his pockets. That's "not Navy Kosher" the argument went, as you weren't supposed to put your hands in the pockets of your peacoat. You were issued gloves. use them. The argument for, went along the lines of yeah, there are rules, but sailors are smart enough to know which ones to break. Hands cold? Nobody around to berate you? Into the pockets they go.<br>

On an unrelated, related note, those wool peacoats are about the coldest damn things ever designed. They'll keep you warm down to 40 degrees, maybe. </p>