Should I CLA a Nikon F3 that was never used ?

jon_kobeck1

I just scored a Nikon F3HP on eBay for $300. It looks brand new! The guy I bought it from was the original owner who purchased it in

1984 new> he said he ran only 4 or 5 rolls of film through it. The question I have is, should I CLA this camera or just use it for now.

Thanks

<p>It wouldn't be a bad idea, to have a qualified tech take a look under the hood, like cars, they're not maintenance free, but almost... the most likely thing would be the mirror foam, and maybe the light seals on the door. I bought mine brand new the same year, and have only had it CLA'd twice in that time, and to this day, it performs flawlessly...however... the foam does deteriorate over time, and in the 30 or so years that I've owned the camera, I've had it replaced three times, small price to pay a for a superb camera!!!</p>

Seals are simple to check if they are end of life. Remove the lens and compress the seal at top of chamber. if it does not bounce and sticks to your finger or starts to flake off, get it CLA. If the top seal if fine. do not fret it.

You are all ready in 300$ and a proper CLA will be another $100+ for sure. Seals are a simple fix you can do your self. ALL they do is replace the mirror up seal and the two door seals. Oil/lube this camera requires a full tear down and splitting the body. That will cost you more.

Run some film thru it and confirm all is well with it, send it back if the pictures turn out bad. It may look great outside and be dry as a bone inside. And that means the full teardown is required.

Marc

<p>A CLA is probably a good idea, although the one I bought about 4 years ago didn't need it. Routinely I replaced the mirror bumper and seals as I do on many older bodies I've bought. Everything worked fine. I would run a sacrificial roll thru yours after exercising it a little. If things seem even slightly stiff, I'd gently put it to a low setting hair dryer, and then exercise it. That and your negatives will tell you if you need to CLA it immediately or hold off. It is a terrific camera IMHO, well worth the CLA cost if you plan to get years of use from it.</p>

Some sort of lubrication between moving metal parts is usually not a bad idea, however, a car's engine has parts rotating at 3000 rpm and more, so it's not quite the same thing. My guess is that the shutter and the film winding mechanism would eventually get sticky and wear out.

I would just shoot it myself. However if I were going to have somebody mess around inside my camera I would send it to APS as they are a Nikon service center and will have Nikon seals and such. The camera is new enough that parts should be available. Nikon was supposed to keep that camera going for the long run and hopefully they are sticking to it. Anyway it's up to you. I am getting a Nikon FM2n from KEH on Tuesday and if something is not quite right with it I will send it back on Wednesday, otherwise I am going to just going to load it up with HP-5 and take some photos. It's just a cheap camera.

Tough question. I think I would try it out and see if everything works. If everything is working I think I would leave it alone. "if it aint broke don't fix it". If you are suspicious of anything not working properly then get the CLA. These are really tough cameras and were built for the long term but like just about anything that is mechanical letting them sit unused can be the worst thing for them. It is best to give them regular exercise in order to keep everything moving.

This is an oft asked question but it really comes

down to this classic trade-off: which do you value

more, the known reliability of a well-serviced

camera, or not spending some of your hard-earned

money? Cameras were not designed to operate

forever without being serviced. Just like a car,

things degrade based on time as well as usage.

<p>It'll be far cheaper, and more fun, to simply run a film or two through the camera. Duplicate a few shots at different aperture/shutter combinations to check the exposure is consistent and call it job done! If you find there's a problem, <strong>then</strong> would be the time to worry about having it fixed. Paying someone to look for a problem will usually result in them finding one!</p>

*** Update****

I brought the camera in today to Nippon in NYC for a CLA. I didn't really fool around with it. However, I just

was told by the seller that "you have to advance the film a few frames to activate the meter"

I assumed the meter was working on such a pristine camera. I never heard of having to advance the film a

few frames to activate it. I usually use a handheld LM for my work. Does this sound like a bad meter?

I called Nippon and asked them to inspect the meter.

Jeez this is annoying

User guide page 23

This blank shot referres to film loading.

" When making blank shots with the shutter speed dial set to "A," the shutter will fire at 1/80 sec. until the frame counter reaches "1." In addition, the LCD shows 8O in the finder. Or if you set the dial manually between 1/125 and 1/2000 sec., the shutter will still fire at 1/80 sec. In the finder, an "M8O" is displayed.

However, if the speed is manually set to 1/80 sec. (X) or below, the shutter will fire at the speed set and the speed will be displayed by the LCD. Therefore, to speed up film loading, set the dial to "A" or to 1/80 sec. (X) or above.

"T" should not be used when making blank shots as the shutter will remain locked open. "

User Guide F3

http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/archive/F3.pdf

- - -

This is the exact reason why I would shoot some film and get acquainted with camera before even thinking about CLA. How do you even know the camera is fully functional. CLA may bring out bugs, but at what price.

Marc