Posterization/"Steps" in Gradation -- 4k iMac + Retina MBP

<p>Hello Everyone,<br /><br />I feel like I'm about to open a can of worms, but I am at a loss.<br /><br />I recently calibrated my 4k iMac display (and my 13" retina Macbook Pro, actually), with a Spyder4 Pro. Now, I suddenly see absolutely horrific "steps" of color in any gradient/gradations. I see it in ALL video, in photos within Safari, Chrome, Preview, Photoshop, Lightroom, absolutely anywhere. It's very very bad.<br /><br />I used the settings of RGB LED + High Gamut LCD for the iMac, as I believe I should have done, according to information online. I used White LED + Standard Gamut LCD for the MBP.<br /><br />Comparing the same images on my iPhone 5s display (which obviously isn't calibrated), they all look totally normal, and smooth! Just as one would expect.<br /><br />What have I done wrong? Is this an inherent flaw in the displays? Is my Spyder4 broken? I need accurate color but I can't sacrifice tones like this :S<br /><br />Coming from a 12 year old CRT monitor that displays good color and tones, I'm quite dumbfounded that these new high end machines are having this issue. I'm sure there must be a fix.</p>

<p>It might be the profile itself. Try recalibrating it again, if there's an option for Version 4 profiles <strong>don't</strong> pick that. <br>

Could be an issue with the Spyder; they are not so hot:<br>

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=103094.msg845726#msg845726<br>

The higher the reported dE, the worse the unit preformed. So you'll see two Spyder's (newest models) were 9.9 and 7.2 which is pretty awful. The X-rite products were 1.4 and as low as 0.8! So you may have another dud Spyder. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Thanks, Andrew. I didn't realize that the Spyder's didn't have a good reputation.</p>

<p> I'm now noticing that even when I switch back to the default "iMac" color profile in system settings, the posterization is still noticeable. It's MUCH better...but I still see very noticeable rings/steps of colors and tones on everything.</p>

<p> Could there someone be a problem just because I don't have dedicated video, or something like that? (It's not available unless you step up to the 27" iMac).</p>

<p>iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)<br>

3.1 GHz Intel Core i5<br>

8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3<br>

Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm now noticing that even when I switch back to the default "iMac" color profile in system settings, the posterization is still noticeable. It's MUCH better...but I still see very noticeable rings/steps of colors and tones on everything.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Probably to be somewhat expected, it's not a high bit panel. <br>

Do a reboot and when you hear the tone, hold down command/option/P/R key until you hear the tone again. You'll zap the PRAM which can't hurt. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>The entire system may or may not be 10-bit. Everything has to support that bit depth (video card, display, OS, software). You can test it with this file which should show NO banding on-screen:<br>

<a href="http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/getattachment.php?data=MTUyfDEwIGJpdCB0ZXN0IHJhbXAuemlw">10 bit test ramp.zi</a>p<br>

Now what's certain is the Spyder isn't doing it's calibration high bit, in the panel! It's building a LUT to adjust the calibration which can cause banding. </p>

<p>Kill the profile you built. Trash it. Reboot. What profile is being used to replace it and, do you still see banding? I suspect the Spyder is the issue (either the hardware or the resulting profile). Is this new? This is the first time you've used it? </p>

<p>Ok I did that and it reverts to the default "iMac" profile. Still seeing banding. Not as bad... but still seeing it. Would the Spyder software cause problems at this point, somehow? Do I need to uninstall that entirely as well? :(</p>

<p> I've had the Spyder for a few years. I used it on my old CRT with what I believed to be good success.</p>

<p>I'm starting to worry that perhaps this is a flaw in the Intel Iris Graphics? My girlfriend has an identical Macbook Pro Retina as well. Hers has never been calibrated or modified in any way... I see banding on hers as well (just checked). This is really upsetting if it can't be overcome.</p>