Slide Film Processing

<p>Hi,<br /> I really like the look of 35mm Velvia. The only problem is the price of processing. I wanted to know where I could send my slide film to be processed for the cheapest possible price. I am okay with compromised quality if the price makes up for it. I am also okay with sending it abroad (from United States). I am mainly looking for online or mail order, but can also go to a CVS, Rite Aid, or Walgreens if they are cheap. I am unable to process the film myself. I prefer to have it cut into strips, but if having it in slides is cheaper, that's okay.</p>

<p>Thank You SO Much,</p>

<p>Mitchell</p>

<p>Postage is a big part of the price for mail order. Ship a bunch of rolls together, and have the slides shipped back together. That sames some.</p>

<p>It is about $12/roll locally, which is less than processing plus shipping to/from Dwayne's. <br>

I might wish it was less, but it is probably about right.</p>

-- glen

<p>The most you're going to save is a dollar or two, because the reason its expensive is that there isn't actually enough volume going through the surviving lines to make it worthwhile keeping those lines open except at much higher prices than have been asked historically. And Velvia , tough to expose right and not responding to high contrast well, is exactly the sort of film you need processing spot on, not "compromised quality". That goes for pretty much all slide film, but Velvia more than most. Unless you're used to slide film I can promise that you'll waste a lot of exposures and processing dollars while you're learning to use the film properly.</p>

<p>It may be that whether you like the "look" or not, Velvia is a poor choice in your specific circumstances. </p>

<p>Seems to me, the price isn't so bad. It might have been $5 35 years ago.</p>

<p>Well, there used to be more film going in, but there weren't all that many labs, so not real competition. I always mailed to the Kodak labs.</p>

<p>And print prices are still way down. When I first knew, in 1967, color reprints were $0.22 each.<br>

Now I can get them for much less, even without inflation adjustment. </p>

<p>If I do a few E6 rolls a year, $12 isn't all that bad.</p>

-- glen

<p><a href="http://www.theslideprinter.com/services/e6-slide-developing/">The Slideprinter</a> (AKA Denver Digital Imaging) charges $8.95/roll plus $5.00 handling fee for the <em>total</em> order. Shipping with their mailers is free both ways and you can fit about 10 rolls comfortably in a mailer. So ((8.95*10)+5.00)/10=$9.45/roll for really high-quality processing and convenient ordering. Not the cheapest, but I recommend them.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>This may seem like an odd question but why would you, or anyone else for that matter, ever be satisfied with<em> "compromised"</em> quality on any processed film? Slide film has much lower latitude than negative film to begin with. Although the price of processing is high, it is not out of line really for what you could expect nowadays.</p>

<p>If you want to save some money, ask that the slides NOT be mounted but left in a continuous roll. Review the frames individually and only mount the ones you consider "keepers". You can get bulk plastic slide mounts online. I would also encourage you get a film cutter rather than try to cut them apart with scissors. They are not very expensive and are very handy. Some are designed so the can be placed above a light source (like a light table) and light shines through white plastic to make it easier to cut them apart accurately.</p>