85 1.2L Mk1 with "melting" rubber paint

<p>I live in a hot climate (Singapore), and recently, my 85 1.2 (first version) has started to give of black sticky marks on my hands every time I use it. The whole lens seems sticky, it's like the rubbery paint has gone permanently soft. I'm sure it has something to do with the heat, but I keep it in a room that holds normal room temperature. Also none of my other lenses do this.<br>

Has anyone experienced something like this. and is there a safe way to clean it? Obviously, the lens is out of warranty, but I am considering taking it to Canon.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ran into this with an inexpensive set of Nikon binoculars, maybe 10 years old. It was a coating. Nothing I did seemed to help. I think it is like deteriorating rubber, but it is only a coating, so can be removed. I got it all off, but did a rubbish job cosmetically. Got a bit enthusiastic with acetone which scarred the substrate a bit. There may have been some reason I didn't use petroleum based solvents or gum turpentine; maybe they just did nothing, but that's a good place to start, as it's unlikely to affect anything but the sticky stuff.<br>

Don't know what Canon would do. If they replace a sleeve, it would likely be the same material. Please let us know what you ends up doing and how it worked.</p>

<p>The lens looks great cosmetically, save for a few cracks in the coating behind the groves on the lens barrel. The front focusing ring is absolutely fine, no stickiness at all. I guess it should be possible to replace the outer barrel, which is kept in place by 6 small screws.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>On other types of equipment I have had success with removing stuff like that by removing the biggest lumps with nails or a credit card and then a lot of polishing with alcohol or white gas. It can look quite nice underneath. But printed matter on the rubber, will of course also disappear.</p>

<p>It doesn't have to be insect repellent... even simple hand lotions have emollients that will soften applied coatings / paint. Rubberized coatings are particularly susceptible. We did lots of testing at Kodak back in the day when we made cameras with rubberized paint on the covers.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Or sunscreen or mosquito repellent?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Very likely but it happens anyway. I'm in temperate Denmark and it happened to my keyboard and mouse. I think the softening agent in the "rubber" paint breaks down and dissolves the "rubber"<br>

</p>

<p>I too live in the tropics and I don't think heat or humidity are the direct causes of finishes turning to goo. It's probably something on your hands interacting with the finish. I've never than a lens barrel go to goo but several of the grips on my cameras went bad. Basically my sweat acted as a solvent. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Thanks everyone, it makes sense that it's some form of solvent, I just can't figure out what. Unlike my more utilitarian lenses, I've treated this baby like it's porcelain. Trying to think if I ever took the lens to India, which is the only place I really use insect repellant. Also, it seems evenly distributed across the whole rubberised paint, not just where my hands have been. Anyway, it's not a huge problem, just leaves my hands black and sticky, like touching fresh tarmac on a hot day. I'll pop by Canon, and see if there's anything that can be done.</p>

<p>Hi Erik,<br>

Just think Lycra or Spandex, a copolymer with useful stretchy properties when new but creating textiles that get appallingly saggy and a bit sticky as it ages. <br>

It's unlikely anyone can tell you what this coating is, so if Canon can't help, you might need to do a bit of a solvency test, remove the affected parts and leave them soaking in something mild that won't attack the plastic, then reassemble.</p>

<p>I took the lens to an authorised repair shop here in Singapore, and he told me they see this thing often. He attributed it entirely to the weather, and said it happens after being in the heat for a few years. He urged me to keep it in a place that doesn't get so hot. He will replace the cover (US$ 130 or 200 including internal cleaning), and the lens will be as good as new. Thanks again for all your help. </p>

<p>Erik</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>I live in a hot climate (Singapore), and recently, my 85 1.2 (first version) has started to give of black sticky marks on my hands every time I use it. The whole lens seems sticky, it's like the rubbery paint has gone permanently soft. I'm sure it has something to do with the heat, but I keep it in a room that holds normal room temperature. Also none of my other lenses do this.<br>

Has anyone experienced something like this. and is there a safe way to clean it? Obviously, the lens is out of warranty, but I am considering taking it to Canon.</p>

<p> </p>

dear erik,

i also live in Singapore and have a 85 1.2 and today discovered that the outer coating is melting and sticky and staining. which Canon dealer did you go to? seriously a bit miffed, this is a > 2,000 dollar lens... maybe Canon could spend an extra 50 for a proper paint job?

hahahaha its a 10 year old digital lens? OMG a digital relic. Yeah maybe a bit late to the dance.

I wonder if my old Canon film camera is still under warantee? I think it read for life, for manufacturers defects or materials. OR was that the brass Canon?

The more you say, the less people listen.

Since the lens in question hasn't been made for over a decade, you may be asking a bit much...

True but there are a lot of people watching. Canon gear is a little more expensive, but we expect quality in build and materials. Paint should not disolve because you put on sunscreen. Even if the lens is old, this is a material defect. This is not a shutter that has 700,000 activations. This is not faded paint because the lens sat in the sun for a decade. Canon does the right thing and fix it, they look like a stand up company that stands behind their product and their customers.

If they don't do the right thing they look like cheap weasles selling cheaply painted goods with no accountability to the customer for obvious material defect to save a buck. Your hands should not turn black handling an L glass lens, ever....are they painting them with black water color paint. Canon does not want this negative PR. And to repaint the lens is peanuts in comparison to damage control on a dumb bad PR decision on how to handle a material defect..

Doing the right thing should never be a hard choice for an honorable company.

Cheers, Mark