Paper prints ??

cowboy_jacks

<p dir="ltr">Hello all,</p>

<p dir="ltr">I’m new to the photography industry. I have just finished college. My father was a photographer and he owns a studio. He used to do all types of events like weddings and other parties. He passed away last month, and now, I have inherited the studio. I have to take care of the family now by running the studio. Even though I have no great knowledge, I do know small small things taught by my father, and now I have to take care of the studio like he used to, and earn a living for my family. So, my doubt is, last week, I got a customer who asked if we have paper photo prints. I have never even heard about it. Since I have zero knowledge about it, I did a research online and couldn’t find much. I wanted to know more about this because more people are asking for it and in order to keep up, we have to be updated about everything. This is the sole income of the family, and it is my responsibility to run the studio and keep up his good name. Please help. </p>

<p>You are certainly being thrown in at the deep end! It is an almost impossible challenge with no knowledge of photography to take over the running of a studio. Did your father have any colleagues or friends who are experts in photography and could assist you?<br>

To answer your specific question, paper photo prints are just another name for ordinary photographs, which traditionally were produced by photographing on black-and-white or colour negative film and making prints in a darkroom or laboratory or else photographing on so-called reversal or slide film, which produced a direct positive image (from which it was also possible to make paper prints when necessary). I do not know if your father was a film user or if he had converted to digital workflow, as most professional photographers have these days. Accordingly, I do not know in what form his archives (stores of old photographs) are. Whichever it is (film or digital files), it is very likely that he did not keep stocks of many if any prints but made these as required. Any professional laboratory can do this for you. Many people on PN can give you recommendations for laboratories if you tell us where you live. The answer to the question "Do you have paper prints?" is therefore (most likely) "No, but we can get some done very quickly."<br>

Hope this helps a little – feel free to post any further questions you may have.</p>

<p>I suggest you find a decent paying day job while you learn the craft and business of photography. Expect to keep that job for a couple of years at the minimum, because that's how much time you will need to learn, first the craft and technology of photography, and most important the business aspects of how to actually make a living at photography.</p>

<p>Or you could sell the studio business and get a day job.</p>

<p>But, regardless don't expect photography to pay any bills for a long time.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>First of all, my condolences on your loss. I lost my father when I was 18, and I grieve with you.</p>

<p>That said, I have to agree with the above posters. You cannot learn the photography business fast enough to save your studio without help. Try to hire some sharp recent college photography graduate who knows the business well enough to help you get through the learning curve. And do this quickly. If I asked a studio owner about prints, and got a blank look or a "what is that", I would take my business elsewhere.</p>