Cameras unsuitable for higher trigger voltage flashes

william_wright3

<p>Hi,<br>

I am curious as to whether anyone knows what era camera hot shoe contacts were built only to take low voltage flashes (as most digital cameras seem to be), or does it apply to all electronic cameras, even film ones.<br>

I ask as I recently purchased a Contax RX 35mm camera (produced in the mid nineties), and wanted to check safety when using a Sunpak 28sr thyristor flash. I believe the trigger voltage for the flash to be about 26 volts, however I have no idea whether or not this would be safe on the contax's hot shoe contacts. </p>

<p>The issue here isn't digital v film but electronics in the flash sync circuit rather than a simple mechanical switch like cameras used to have. Hard to say exactly when the change began but I would be concerned about any camera that has an LCD screen (including film cameras that use an LCD to display settings, not just digital cameras),</p>

<p>I have used my RX only a couple of times with flash units. My Metz 45CL-4 (not the digital version) has a measured trigger voltage of 16V although I've seen factory notes saying it is actually 18V and it worked fine on the RX. I couldn't find an answer to the same question you asked for my smaller flash, a Vivitar 2800 which has a much higher trigger voltage 40-180V according to a popular chart, 153V measured by me. Since I basically don't use flash on my RX, I decided to give it a try and deal with the consequences if there were any. Answer is it worked fine with no problems. Not a definitive answer for you...you assume your own risk, but based on my experience I doubt you would have issues with a 26V unit.</p>

<p>I think in the case of Nikon, the instructions usually (and maybe always) tell the maximum trigger voltages allowed, and they're usually pretty high even on recent digitals. The D3200 manual says it's good to 250 volts positive. So does the D7100. I note that polarity as well as voltage is an issue/ Though I don't know of any flashes whose polarity is reversed, it's probably something to check on an unknown unit. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I thought the DSLR Canons were much lower, closer to 6 volts, but I never tried flash on one.</p>

<p>As above, the Nikons are usually much higher, but there might still be flash units even higher.</p>

<p>The early electronic shutter film cameras might still use switch contacts for flash. I suppose DSLRs could do that, too, but usually don't.</p>

-- glen