Unboxing the Medalist

<p>Yes, a five-element 100mm f/3.5 Heliar-type, indeed, <strong>Darin</strong>. A very similar 105mm f/3.7 was produced for the press cameras of the day. Historically, the Medalist intrigues me, and I hadn't realised that, though the camera went into production around 1940, the military took every copy produced and the public couldn't lay hands on one until some time in 1946. Once one gets used to the sheer bulk and weight, it's a nice enough camera to use.</p>

<p>Wow, never seen one in the flesh, but have nothing but good reports...especially regarding the Ektar. You are very lucky to have one in such nice condition and we all look forward to some images.<br>

Hope the weather is treating you well, Spring is really in the air here....really early!</p>

<p>Yes, I think they are a fairly uncommon camera downunder, <strong>Tony</strong>. So far, I'm impressed by the Ektar and I'll post some more samples when time allows. Very spring-like here, today; I have a little vase of very fragrant daphne flowers beside me as I type, and by my reckoning it's blooming about three weeks ahead of schedule.</p>

<p>Nice find Rick. I've looked for them from time to time. The Ektar lens is pin sharp as your preliminary photos show. One of the features that intrigued me is Kodak's way to get a 100 mm lens on a camera without using bellows. Also Ektars at their best, should not be front cell focused. The double helix gets around both of those problems very nicely. Have fun with it, looking forward to seeing more examples from this camera.</p>

<p>Yes,<strong> Brett</strong>, re-spooling is rather a PITA but sometimes I find it worthwhile. It's more the thought of doing it that deters me; it actually takes less than five minutes in the darkroom. I'm gradually adding more images on Flickr, as you've noticed. The sheer ingenuity oif the camera was one of the features that originally attracted me, <strong>Greg</strong>; it's pretty much a one-off in many respects. <strong>Robin</strong>, the data refers to "treated inner lens surfaces" but there's little external appearance of coatings. The Ektar fitted to the Medalist II apparently had more extensive coating, possibly "lumenized" like the Signet lens.</p>

<p>Yes, <strong>Marc,</strong> I wonder how many were sold before production was commandeered by the military. I've come across several wartime ads for the Medalist, all of them "patriotic" in tone and explaining how the Medalist was on a tour of duty and wouldn't be available until the victory had been achieved. Just keeping the camera in the public eye, I guess, and creating some sort of aura and respect.</p>

<p>Great quality there, <strong>Rick</strong>.</p>

<p>Congratulations on buying one of the most undervalued cameras available. Now don't tell anyone else or the prices will go up! Seriously, with a full Hasselblad system from Superwide C to 500mm lenses, and a slew of other medium format cameras, the Medalist (a II in my case) is the camera I consistently take with me whenever I think I might want to shoot. The lens, as noted, was also used in the Hasselblad 1600F, and today those lenses alone cost 3X what a nice Medalist II costs. <br>

Enjoy the camera. The limited number of shots per roll tends to force careful technique, which is something we can all benefit from. </p>

<p>I'm looking for a leather case for mine if anyone has a lead. Private messages appreciated. </p>

<p>BTW, it was this thread that inspired me to get off my butt and sign up here. Hope to find a good bunch. </p>

<p>Willie</p>

<p>.</p>

<p>Welcome to the Forum, <strong>Willie</strong>! Nice to meet another Medalist fan; I'm rapidly becoming one. I hope to post some samples from the camera over the next 48 hours, so keep a watching brief. I can't help with the case, but I've seen them on Ebay, now and then. It might pay to register a search.</p>

<p>Respooling is really simple and fast. The first times I did it it was challenging due to working in the dark and keeping track of which side is facing lens and keeping paper and film from unraveling. I also had cut film down on the spool too. Not boasting, it just gets easier after a few learning experiences. I keep the spools close and just wind one onto to the other. Then I take the second spool and roll it back onto that to keep the number correct. The only other thing is to have a small piece available where you can find it in the dark. This is because the smaller diameter of the spool when you are done you have a little excess length of film so I just separate the paper from the film at the final end and tape it down. Again you need that sense of feel when working in the dark. Just one more thing to add, I am not getting one , I am not getting one , I am not getting one, I am n.......</p>