Imaging Resource's Pentax K-1 interview w/RICOH

14mm 2.8l

<p>"Taking part in the interview were Shinobu Takahashi, Senior General Manager of the Global Sales & Marketing Division; Shigeru Wakashiro, General Manager of the Product Planning Department, Product Strategy Division; Hiroki Sugahara, General Manager of the Marketing Communication Department, Global Sales & Marketing Division; Hiraku Kawauchi, Manager of the Public Relations Group, Marketing Communiction Department, Global Sales & Marketing Division; and Takashi Arai of the 1st Planning Group, Product Planning Department, Product Strategy Division. "<br>

Now that's a corporate mouthful! ......heretofore known as "Ricoh"</p>

<p>"Mother of mercy is this the end of rico?"<br>

-Edward G. Robinson at the end of Little Caesar<br>

<br>

Not sure what I'm getting at here but it's interesting that all these guys can speak as one. And in this piece that one is named Ricoh. LOL</p>

<p>I am still unsure how much I'd find it useful, but for anyone interested in having a FF camera, the Pentax K-1 certainly appears attractive. Apparently, a tremendous amount of thought over a considerable period of time went into its design, which is unique and very well built. The price point is very attractive for such a product.</p>

<p>I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that the crop boundary box inside the view finder might become more of a nuisance than aid. Imagine trying to focus on a subjects eyes and that black box blocks the view, it might become very annoying. </p>

<p>I would think the boundary box would be in a very light outline, and the outer area might darken when switched to APS-C. My old Pentax PZ-1P has such an outline in the VF for pano crop mode, which has never posed a problem for me. In fact, I found it a good reference for getting my shot level when needed.</p>

<p>I think the boundary box is an LCD overlay according to the reviews so maybe you can remove it if you don't want to see it. I use to own a Canon 7D when it first came out and the folks at Canon decided to change the little red focusing points to big black focusing points. The best thing to do was to pretend they were not there, but sometimes they just got in the way.... </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>The "boundary box" aka the cropping frame, the spot metering frame, AF point markings, grid display markings, AF frame markings and electronic level indicators are displayed via a transparent LCD overlay, and they can be disabled.<br>

The "boundary box" aka the cropping frame itself won't appear unless you're shooting in the crop mode. So it cannot cover your subject's eyes - assuming that you like to have your subject into the frame, not outside it.</p>