McCurry, Singh, and the boring "too perfect" photograph

<p>Although I tend to agree with most of Ian's posts on this occasion I do not. It takes very little time to post on P/N and share photos and thoughts. Sharing to my mind, is about the enjoyment of photography, whether through discussion or photographs. </p>

<p>Comparing two photographers is disrespect to both...it just tells me of poor journalistic skills who have to resort to sensualistic writing because they have not the ability or imagination to offer anything else.</p>

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>Interesting article from New York Times magazine, though it may be heretical to some people.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have to say the article seems remarkably uninformed. You have to wonder if Teju Cole is even aware of, let alone has looked at, McCurry's war photography or his work on children in war zones or his 9/11 series:</p>

<p>http://stevemccurry.com/galleries/war<br>

http://stevemccurry.com/galleries/children-war<br>

http://stevemccurry.com/galleries/september-11-2001</p>

<p>Here McCurry's saturated colours show terrible things with awful clarity.</p>

<blockquote>Wouter Willemse: <em>I think the comparison between Singh and McCurry is interesting and relevant.</em></blockquote>

<p>Based on the reasons you have given (learning from what we do appreciate, but also being open-minded enough to learn from things that we do not care for), I would agree with you. It is all a matter of opinions. </p>

<p>But the problem with opinions is some people do not like them when they are not in accordance with their own. Particularly where very famous, very popular, photographers are concerned. "...<em>the article seems remarkably uninformed</em>." Why? Because he does not reference the galleries you have linked to? Given the clarity, composition, and vivid color of those images, they may only make Teju Cole's case. You -- and I -- may find those galleries impressive and possessed of "awful clarity" (good term). But that doesn't mean Cole can't make the case that such clarity, vividness, and composition has a contrived "boring" feel to it. The possibility that Cole is taking a contrary position for the sake of readership has not escaped me. However, I tend to appreciate it when someone questions conventional wisdom and photographic popularity. Doing so does not automatically equate to envy, incompetence, or sitting on a cushion playing on the intergoogle. You think Cole is uninformed. I think he makes some interesting points that are worthy of consideration. So be it. </p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why? Because he does not reference the galleries you have linked to?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>More because he seems unaware of a large body of McCurry's work, the sort of thing that is easily found by going to his archive on the Magnum site and filtering by 'armed conflict' or 'social issues' or 'health' or 'politics'. I agree that Cole might well be taking a contrary position for the sake of the article, in which case cherry picking a certain type of image is just part of the rhetoric, but I'm not quite convinced he's looked much beyond the Instagram feed and coffee table book he mentions, and the comparison with Coldplay is well below the belt! I suspect a lot of people who are only vaguely aware of McCurry assume that the Afghan Girl photo is just part of some exotic travelogue, rather than a piece of journalism about a war orphan in a refugee camp. Full credit for highlighting Singh, though!</p>

<p>I found Cole's article provocative, and the discussion here interesting.<br>

As a photographer, I must say that I like elements of both McCurry's and Singh's work. I think that the former's images have a more constructed, deliberate look, while the latter seems more intuitive and on-the-fly (which is by no means a derogatory view; quite the contrary - I find that there's more of a 'decisive moment' element). I admire the technique and hard graft that went into both photographers' output, and I like some of the photographs made by both of them.<br>

My perspective is also tinged by the fact that I was born and grew up in India. When I look at Singh's images, I am strongly reminded my childhood on the streets of India (I can smell the jasmine, incense and exhaust fumes and hear the cacophony of people, animals, vehicles and industry). When I look at McCurry's work, my response is less visceral, and more aesthetic - I appreciate the composition and light, and how beautifully the photographs are made. So I am moved in different ways when I view their work, which to me, is the goal of any artist.</p>