what is the cause of this

brian_mchattie

Element by element lets break this down:

The D4 can record simultaneously on two pieces of media: XQD and CF. Do you have your camera set up to do that?

If so:

Does it happen on both types of media? If so, the camera is at fault and needs to be repaired or replaced.

If the camera is set up to record on only piece of media at a time:

Does it happen only on different CF or only on XQD media cards?

If so there maybe a fault in the camera regarding that channel.

If the fault only occurs on specific pieces of media but not on similar pieces, then the fault is with that or those individual

piece of media and they need to be replaced.

<p>See this old thread I started on a similar problem on my then new D800E four years ago: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00akyq<br>

In my case the problem was a faulty SD card. I used the backup mode and the images on the CF card was fine. I would replace the memory card first, but potentially it could also be a camera electronics issue.</p>

<p>I do not save images on both cards and even though I have read all (I think) of the threads recommending this, to date, I have not felt it necessary (perhaps until now) because I take many hundreds of images during a game and a lost photograph or two does not really matter.<br>

However, this type of thing is beginning to concern me and I have changed out the XQD card as I write. Next time I will be shooting a game will be Sunday so I will update this post on my progress</p>

<p>thanks for your quick responses</p>

<p>Brian, I have posted about this experience before. About a month since I had posted the above 2012 thread, I visited my parents and we went to a local park. I used that same D800E to take some casual images of them as I have done numerous times before. Suddenly a few days later my mother suffered a stroke and passed away shortly after. Those routine, casual images of my parents became the very last ones of them together. And sure enough, some of those images were corrupted also, but the duplicates saved the day.</p>

<p>In these days I use dual cards in the backup mode religiously. I have also lost that faulty SD card since then such that I no longer have this issue.</p>

<p>I had a similar effect after copying JPGs to a USB stick. Seems that there is no parity, or other check, for corrupt image data. Could be the camera or card, but more likely card.</p>

<p>My D70s, which I mostly don't use now, likes to forget that it has a card. Only once did it fail to write, but it seems that the problem is the camera to card interface. That could happen to you, too. (Taking the card out, and back in again, allows it to work.)</p>

-- glen

<p>Well i thought I was to be shooting a game on Sunday, but my local team won the series at the opponents ice arena on Friday so I have not used my d4 again yet.<br>

However, this evening I went downtown and took my d750 me. Shot about 50 images (raw on one card and jpeg as backup). I transferred the raw images to lightroom cc and started processing. About half way thru the images, I moved from one file to the next and "bang" the file "became corrupted". It looked ok on the bottom strip until I opened it to start work!! Now I am thinking that this cannot just be a coincidence that something is wrong with two different cards from two different cameras??<br>

I got to thinking and I remember that several times during the last few weeks, Lightroom has crashed on me so now I wonder if perhaps that is where my issue lies and not with my gear..Any thoughts please?<br>

Yes, I have uninstalled lightroom and reinstalled it again! and yes I submitted the report.</p>

<p>Since the D4 (XQD + CF) and the D750 (dual SD) do not use any common cards, it becomes quite unlikely that two different cards suddenly have a similar problem. Can you view your image on something else other than Lightroom to see whether the image files are corrupted?</p>