Yellowstone and lens choices

Andrew Garrard

<p>Interesting - thank you, John. I'll check it for ideas.<br />

<br />

For anyone following, I think everything is successfully booked, modulo all going wrong if we can't get up in the mornings. That includes upper and lower Antelope (not that, apparently, I'm allowed to post any photos from them on the internet without a commercial use permit) and a load of tours around Yellowstone that may necessitate leaving the hotel at 4am. Zzz. Now I just need some lenses (and a backup camera, and insurance, and not to look at my credit card for a long time)...</p>

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>It's mostly early morning wildlife tours in Yellowstone - we have some time at other points to drive around (or sleep), fortunately. Plus I have a dinner booked at OF. Good to know we can explore, though! Antelope - sadly, there aren't many options, but I believe they just have enthusiastic reading of their requirement to have a special permit for commercial use (which I'd kind of expect) - they just happen to call out Flickr et al. as "commercial use". I'll see; I'm certainly not going to produce a commercial calendar, but not being able to post something here would be sad, especially since it would be likely to give them more trade.<br />

<br />

Knowing my luck, you can expect a monsoon to hit most of the US during my trip. Apologies to everyone caught in the fall-out. :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p> they just happen to call out Flickr et al. as "commercial use"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A thought. If I were you, I'd still post to Flickr. You live in the UK. What are they going to do--extradite you? Just don't label the photo with the words "Antelope Canyon" and I doubt a search engine would even pick it up. That's even assuming they are actively looking. My thinking is if I pay my money, screw them.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Incidentally, I see someone has recently died by falling into a hot spring in Yellowstone (through thin rock) after leaving the path. The BBC article indicates this has happened before, and also notes a tourist attempting to rescue a moose calf that "looked cold", resulting it it being rejected by its herd. With sympathies to the family involved, I hope this doesn't result in Yellowstone feeling the need to get too restrictive about access. I certainly intend to be careful, and I know to keep both wildlife and boiling water at a distance.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>tourist attempting to rescue a moose calf that "looked cold", resulting it it being rejected by its herd</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Bison calf, not moose. And not rejected by its herd because of human contact but an orphan that would have died anyway: <a href="https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2016/06/07/i-saw-the-baby-bison-that-tourists-tried-to-rescue-heres-what-you-dont-know-about-the-story/">https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2016/06/07/i-saw-the-baby-bison-that-tourists-tried-to-rescue-heres-what-you-dont-know-about-the-story/</a></p>

<p>Apologies for the mis-quote, Dieter (I knew I should have reopened the news tab before posting), and thank you for the link elaborating. Nonetheless, I know better than to try to "rescue" an orphaned calf! Nature is harsh. Leave nothing but footprints. (This at least prepares me for tourists who don't know better.)</p>

<p>I heard a story that several decades ago, perhaps in the 1970's, some guy went to Yellowstone with his dog. Somehow the dog jumped/fell into a boiling hot spring. That guy also jumped in to save his dog, even though others around warned him not to do so. Needless to say, he was also boiled to death. Not sure how true that story was, but after hearing about it, I managed to find it on the web.</p>

<p>In any case, when you are in the windiness, use plenty of common sense.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Hi all. Just reporting back in case anyone monitored this thread: I survived, and (other than missing the Tetons because we wasted time on invisible wolves on the last day and ran out of time; unnecessarily as it turns out, because my flight was delayed - and not getting around to meteor watching) I think we made it everywhere with no serious injuries other than a lot of muscle cramps. We saw nothing more dangerous than some sharp curbs in Bryce and mosquitos in Yosemite (well, I saw a glimple of something I'm calling "bearly there", but otherwise the biggest carnivore was a bald eagle). I'll share photos in a week or two, once I get my life back on track, possibly via the Wednesday thread.<br />

<br />

Thank you all again so much for your help (and apologies to Shun for failing to meet him). And, especially for Yellowstone, the 200-500 (on a D500) rocks - the worst "too long" problem I had was with a giraffe at the zoo (though I've some nice close-ups of the eyes and tongue), but to be fair if I'd not been in a "not more bloody bison" mood I'd have been able to use something wider during some Yellowstone bison jams. I'm fairly fond of the 24-70 Tamron/D810 combination, too. I may reconsider when I've actually reviewed what I took...</p>