Dropped Nikon lens

chuck

<p>This weekend I accidentally dropped the 24-120 f/4 from a height of bout 12 inches onto the top of a coarse masonry wall. The lens still functions perfectly fine and image appears un-degraded. But the plastic casing around the 3 sliding switches on the left side of the lens is cracked because the lens apparently impacted on that point. There does not appear to be any external screws that would allow the switch casing to be easily removed from the outside. It looks like significant disassembly of the lens might be required to remove the switch casing from inside. So I am hesitate to try to get a used parts only lens off of ebay and replace the damaged casing myself.<br>

Any suggestions where I should send the lens for repair and any adjustment that might be needed?<br>

I am currently in Northern Virginia.</p>

<p>In these days sometimes the 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR is sold as part of a kit with either the D810 or D750. The net cost for the lens is around $600 or so. Therefore, it pretty much sets an upper limit for your repair cost.</p>

<p>Either Authorized Photo Service or Nikon USA repair can give you some idea about the cost. If it is $200 or so, maybe it is worthwhile to repair.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I recently had a 85mm f1.4 AIs lens repaired by Midwest Camera. They did a perfect job. I had price shopped it first and they had the lowest price as well as a very good reputation. Had it been a newer lens I would of given it to Nikon. (Nikon no longer repairs most MF lenses)<br>

You can get a free estimate from Midwest online, I'd send them an image of the damage.<br>

http://www.midwestcamera.com/<br>

Rick</p>