FP4 Plus - base side feels sticky

max_blank

<p>The issue I'm having is with FP4 in 120 size. Normally the base side of my film is smooth and shiny, and before I scan them I try to clean any drying marks with distilled water using a cotton tip and/or microfiber cloth. I never wet-clean the emulsion side.</p>

<p>With this film, though, the base side feels rough, even a bit sticky, and even unexposed parts look a bit cloudy. Trying to clean it with water makes a terribly mess. It gets even stickier and attracts every bit of dust and fiber. Almost feels like it dissolves with water, or at least absorbs it, because if I keep trying to clean it, the film curls strongly to the base side!</p>

<p>I've tried two developers with the same result: Ilfosol 3 and ID-11 (1:1). Fixer is Ilford Rapid Fixer. For the second film I also used a Photo Flo as a final rinse bath.</p>

<p>Any ideas? I bought a pack of this film "second hand", so it's not entirely fresh, but it's not yet expired (2016 indicated on the package).</p>

<p>EDIT: Gah, seems I've posted this in the "film scanning" subcategory. I have no idea how to change it, sorry ;)</p>

<p>Thanks for moving the thread!<br>

For the first roll the fixer was freshly mixed, for the second it was re-used (but tested with a piece of film). I understand that underfixing can cause cloudiness, but please note that my issues are with the BASE side, not the emulsion side!<br>

The cloudiness is very minor anyway. I will try refixing it anyway, there's nothing to lose :)</p>

<p>Next time you develop some of the film, give it a 5 minute water pre-soak. Agitate like you do for fixer. For some reason, the anti-halation layer isn't coming off. Perhaps the film got very hot at some point, or you got a bad run of film (very unusual for Ilford.)</p>

<p>I generally pre-soak my MF film. I stated when I began to use a JOBO. A pre-soak is recommended for Jobo processing. While not strictly necessary for hand processing, a pre-soak seems to cut back on development problems. </p>

<p>It's worth a try on your next roll. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hello everyone. I had this issue with FP-4 when first using PMK Pyro years ago. Even a 3 min pre-soak did not clear out the dye used on the base side. I use a 6 wash system (Ilford) and put 0.1 gram of sodium sulfite in the first wash (5 min each wash) and have never seen the problem again when I use the FP-4. Both Tmax films will have a similar problem (remaining dye) if not fixed much longer than needed to fix the silver. Again, the sulfite clears all. Enjoy, Bill</p>

That's very interesting. I've processed 35mm FP4 before without any issues. Looking at FP4 technical sheet, it doesn't mention anti-halation backing for 35mm, only for roll and sheet film: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2010712125850702.pdf

Can that be right? This is my first experience with 120 size, I've never had any problems with many different types of film in 35mm.

<p>As well as I know, most 35mm films have a gray base for both antihalation and to reduce light piping. When the leader sticks out of the cassette, light can follow it in.</p>

<p>Since 120 doesn't have light piping, it doesn't need the gray base. On the other hand, 120 is next to the backing paper, which might affect the film in ways I don't know about.</p>

-- glen