Canon RebelXTi w/ Yongnuo YN565EX II

duane_eddy

<p>I purchased my first speedlite flash (Yongnuo YN565EX II). It says it's compatible with my Canon Rebel XTi but I can't get it to fire. It is communicating with the camera because I can see the f-stop changing on the LCD on the flash when I change it on the camera. The flash will fire when I press the pilot button. When I press the shutter halfway, the redlight on the front of the flash will blink. No matter what setting I use on the camera from manual to full automatic, it will not fire with the shutter. Is my flash bad? Is is not compatible? Does anyone know of a proven speedlite for the Rebel XTi beside the Canon brand?</p>

If its a model "YN565EX I/II C" it should be compatible with all EOS digital cameras (according to the B&H

website). First, make sure the flash is tightly seated and locked in on the camera's hot shoe and that all the

contacts (on flash and camera) are clean. Try it indoors in TTL mode with the camera on P, Av, Tv or M. If it

still doesn't work there is probably something wrong with the flash and it should be replaced.

<p>Here's something to look at. Go into your menu settings and find Flash Control. Make sure that "Flash Firing" is enabled. Also, check External Flash settings. There is also an External flash custom function. These are all on the same menu page in my XSi. Your menu settings may be different, but it's something to check. Also, just in case you haven't done so, consult the manual.</p>

<p>@ Nilatha - This is the first time I've tried an external flash. I don't have another camera body myself but I may have to purchase a different brand and see if that works. I'm going to have to find a friend with a DSLR and see if they can get my flash to work.<br>

@ Robin - I tried that. It still doesn't fire<br>

@ Kenneth - Is TTL the same as ETTL? It only has ETTL/M/Multi. I've tried every camera setting A-dep, M, Av, Tv, and P and still no luck. I also put the WB in flash mode. Still no luck. I seems that the flash is accepting data from the camera because the zoom and f-stop will change when I change it on the camera. I can't get the camera to recognize that it has a hot-shoe flash. It's like it doesn't see it.<br>

@Laura - My camera doesn't have a flash control menu item. I've read the manual several times. Can't figure this out.</p>

Duane, I believe YN565EX has an optical

slave mode, try to fire it with your pop up

flash. Often times you have to do this with M

mode on the camera to avoid premature firing

of optical slave because of ETTL pre flash.

Post your results. Even this works you could

have other issues. To fire a flash you need

connectivity between center and earth while

rest of the pins are communicating other data.

** Caution: this advise should only be followed if you feel comfortable doing electrical work **

** High voltage may be involved in this testing, with risk of electric shock **

** I can't assume responsibility if any kind of problem arise when following the instructions described here **

Your flash's hot shoe should have five pins, four of them forming a square, and a fifth one on top of the previous four. The

former four are for control (these are the connections that allow the camera to send information to the flash, such as

aperture, zoom position and ISO). You shouldn't touch these (and these seem to be working properly). The last pin is the

one that triggers the flash. There should be another pin, usually on a side of the hot shoe, this one should make contact

to the metallic hot shoe in the camera where the flash sits. If you make a short (that is, connect with an electric conductor,

such as a metallic paper clip) between these last two pins (the flash trigger and the ground) in the flash, the flash must

fire (actually this is what your pilot button is supposed to do, but there may be a wiring issue with the main trigger pin that

the pilot button may circumvent).

If you are able to fire your flash shorting the trigger and ground pins, then your flash is working fine, and the camera is the

culprit, otherwise the flash is to blame for your problem.

<p>That's good advice Ruben. I used a paper clip to make a short and the flash fired. So the flash is working. It must be the camera. I'll have to see if I can get it repaired. Thank you. I am going to take my camera to a local camera store and try my flash on a different camera and try a different flash on my camera.</p>