the return.

harveysteeves

<p>Just before Christmas last year, a camera store near to me (if you call 200 miles near), told me about an older lady who had brought in some LF equipment she wanted to sell. Her husband had passed away 10 years ago and it was just sitting in storage. After a few misadventures in connections, I finally had the opportunity to talk to her about what she really had.<br>

Back in the 80s', seduced by the lure of large format to better image quality and following the siren of Ansel, I saw myself as a LF follower, tramping the wilds of western Canada. I built up a travel system in pursuit of the great images I was going to make. However, no great images. Not really my medium. There were also a few bills piling up. I sold it.<br>

Fast forward, this older lady and I talked. She remembered my name. I remembered their house as well as her husband's name. We met. It was all there - the camera, the lenses, even the same backpack. How could I not buy it?<br>

My new/old Zone VI Wista, the 65/90/150/210/250/400 lenses ...</p><div>00dT8c-558276784.jpg.eb32b80d21d69ae3ec9279016577d39c.jpg</div>

<p>Hmmm, no idea what you paid for all that, but considering the optics you seem to be covered (I'd be!). You can use Xray film (v. inexpensive) till you feel comfy....adjusting to and manipulating the film for tonality in processing.</p>

<p>Anyway, enjoy, create your own style and show us some results. Who knows, you might just enjoy the newly discovered medium. </p>

<p>By the way, congrats. That's a nice kit.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>Each sheet of film will have one or more notches in the top-left corner when the film holder is oriented with the dark slide withdrawing to the right and the loading gate opening to the left. This notch code is different for wach type of film. I commonly use Tri-X and Velvia and know them by feel. </p>

<p>There must be somewhere online to research this . . .anyone know where?</p>

<p>Drew -</p>

<p>For a quick look, just type into Google "4x5 film notch code" and look at <strong><em>images</em>.</strong></p>

<p>If it's Kodak ... just use Google ... </p>

<p><a href="http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f3/f3.pdf">http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f3/f3.pdf</a> ...</p>

<p>and so on.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>All B&W sheet film used to have only one type of notch - rectangular. It was colour film that had a Braille-like code of Vs and curved notches. I believe the rectangular notch may have varied in dimensions slightly between makers of B&W film, but good luck with divining that by feel in the dark.</p>

<p>Some people defied convention (and common sense) by putting the silver side of the slide out when film was exposed. Makes some kind of logic if you only use reversal film I suppose.</p>

<p>Neat story Harvey. Just goes to prove the "6 degrees of separation" theory, although you seem to have cracked it in only 2.</p>