Transferring CS5 to new computer and other q's....

<p>Friends, after considering responses to my earlier query regarding reconfiguring my photo computer I have decided to build a new box. My current rig is 6 years old and is giving me some error messages and sometimes just shuts down unexpectedly. Makes me nervous. After a hard crash of my office system this summer, I think it best to just build a new system with SS processor and robust storage. <br>

One of my concerns is the CS5 that I use. The problem is that it is the last in a line of PS upgrades. I began with PS 5, then 7, then CS2 and then CS5. Even if I can locate all the discs I have a low degree of confidence that a new OS could even read the older versions. Consequently, is there a way to transfer the CS5 program off the existing hard drive onto a new SS drive? Or am I stuck with the new subscription model?<br>

Any component/build recommendations would be appreciated, including recommendation for OS for this dedicated post processing computer, and best practices for such a rig that may be a mystery to me. My thought is to get a 250gb SS drive to run PS and LR, somewhere in the range of 15-18 gb of RAM. My current six year old Dell has 18gb RAM. I regularly work on very large files (up to 500mb) from medium and large format scans. And then have a robust external storage config with back-up. I am no computer genius. Fortunately, I have sons who are and they will assist their dear old dad putting it all together.<br>

Appreciate the help.<br>

David</p>

Nope, the average Joe can not just transfer programs

like CS5 to a new os...that would be a piracy nightmare.

"...a low degree of confidence that a new OS could even

read the older versions"?

The redeeming feature of Windows is backwards

compatibility. Did you google this question? Seems

others are successful. I'd go with CC2015 though, it's

fantastic.

And consider a Samsung Evo 500gb ssd as C Drive. The 256 is too

small, imo.

<p>There is no problem transferring CS5 to a new machine provided you deactivate it on the old machine first. With the old machine attached to the Internet, launch CS5. Click on HELP > DEACTIVATE. </p>

<p>Have all your discs and serial numbers available. Install CS5 from the distribution disc. When the installation process asks for a serial number, enter the CS5 serial number. The process will then complain it cannot find a qualifying product and give you an option to enter the qualifying product's serial number. At this point I am not sure if you enter the CS2 or PS5; you can try both. (I started with CS2 so entering the CS2 serial worked for me.)</p>

<p>As far as the operating system reading the discs, the discs are in ISO format. As long as the discs are undamaged, the operating system can read them.</p>

<p>The update feature may not work; I am not sure that Adobe still has the CS5 updates on line. You can get the updates here:</p>

<p>http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows</p>

<p>Scroll down to "Version CS5" which comes after the International Updates. You will find the latest Camera RAW and the 12.0.4 update which you can also find here:</p>

<p>http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4973</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Like Brooks I too have a CS5 upgrade disk. It requires CS2, CS3, or CS4 to work. I purchased mine off ebay, a new unused disk. Once activated on a computer it can be reinstalled on the same computer with no problems even if you did not deactivate it due to a failure on that computer. I went from a first install on Win8 then to a clean install of Win8.1 to a clean install of Win 10 a second time, due to my carelessness, and I did not deactivate on at least 2 of the clean installs. Do deactivate before moving to a new computer. Do register it and create an account which will then have all the adobe products you own and are registered to you making reinstallations/transfers easier.</p>

Apologies for misunderstanding you David. Transfer and

re-install are two different things. Years ago, with

programs like Norton Ghost, you could install software

and then transfer the same application over to many

computers. That didn't last long though