Cannon EOS Rebel XSi

darlene_robinson

<p>Hello, I have owned the above camera for several years and have worn it out. I would like to get another cannon camera that I can use my zoom lenses with but I do not know how to go about finding out if mine will fit another one. I am not a professional, usually use the auto setting although I would like to learn more but love to take a lot of pictures in a short period of time. Do you have any suggestions as to the type of camera will be compatible with my zoom lens and which camera will be great for low light and fast speed? Thank you for your help.<br>

Darlene</p>

<p>If you have Canon lenses, then check to see if they are marked as EF or EF-S. Your Rebel camera can use all of Canon's EOS lenses and as long as you get another Rebel or a camera with a APS-C sensor (60D, 70D, 7D, 7DII), you can use any of the lenses you are currently using with your Rebel. However, if your lenses are marked as EF-S lenses (and I suspect as least some of them probably are), then they will not be usable on any of Canon's full frame sensor cameras (1DX, 5DII, 5DIII, 6D). EF lenses have a red dot for alignment when mounting and EF-S lenses have a white square. Tamron and Sigma both have designations for crop sensor only lenses (Di-II for Tamron and DC for Sigma) and likewise these lenses shouldn't be used on a full frame camera.</p>

<p>Almost all of Canon's current cameras will be much better in low light than your XSi. I believe the 7DmkII is the current top performer among Canon's lineup for lower light performance in an APS-C sensor. However, if you really need the best low light performance, you'll have to move to a full frame camera where performance is usually considerably better. </p>

I am not sure what you mean by worn out? How many photos have you taken? Does the camera no

longer function as it did when new? If it needs a new shutter, that could be replaced and you would get

years more service out of the camera.

Canon just announced a new 80D which would be a lot advanced from the XSI. Maybe depends on

whether you need a camera right now, or could put off the purchase for awhile.

The 6D is a great camera for low light and relatively cheap for full frame. Does not have a ton of extra

features, nor are the necessary for most people.

Are your lenses compatible with a crop body only or with all of Canon's bodies as Mark has explained

above? I think a lot depends on whether you like or want to continue using those lenses. A telephoto

such as a 70-200 2.8 or 4 are excellent choices for low light, but on the other hand, something like the

2.8 is big, heavy, and expensive so there is always compromises one way or another with slower lenses.

The Canon Rebel EOS T6s and/or T6i would represent a significant upgrade to your current Xsi and will use

any lens that currently works on your Xsi. If the cost of those options are too expensive, then I would

recommend looking for any older Rebel model that has the 18mp sensor, which could cost less than half of the

2 cameras I mentioned above, and would still be a material upgrade from your Xsi.