A Passage to India (and back...)

<p>Once upon a time, sitting on a shelf in New Zealand, were two very pretty Exakta bodies. Sadly, beautiful though they were, they were no longer able to take photographs; both had shutter curtains that were in total disarray, having been inflicted with clumsy attempts to repair pinholes or other damage. One had been clumsily patched, and the other had been subjected to dobs of "liquid electrical tape". Here's what they looked like.</p><div>00dZ0m-559044984.jpg.5c3f4efba2d9bd2daf0892963badfb02.jpg</div>

<p>As the curator of these two cameras, I would have liked to repair them but I couldn't find anyone in my country who was prepared to even consider the task. I mentioned this situation in correspondence with our very own <strong>Subbarayan Prasanna</strong>, and he very kindly offered to see if he could restore them, given that he was well-acquainted with the problem, was experienced in replacing ailing shutter curtains and would enjoy the challenge. While he offered to donate his time, I had to weigh up the cost of materials and postage to and from India but, really, who could refuse an offer like that? So, I sent them off to <strong>SP</strong> and when they arrived he launched into the task, supplying me with frequent updates and photographs as the work progressed. It was almost like being there. Not only did he replace the curtains, but he cleaned and lubricated all the working parts of the cameras, adjusting and re-setting, and then dispatching them back to me via the very reasonably-priced and efficient India Post.</p>

<p>The cameras, a Varex IIa and IIb, are now in great working order, smooth and precise. I fitted a 50mm CZJ Biotar f/2 to the IIa, and a 58mm CZJ Pancolar f/2 to the IIb, and here's how they look.</p><div>00dZ0o-559045184.jpg.7bfb9c7a306b413ea62e33429584cb48.jpg</div>

<p>So, as I promised <strong>SP</strong>, I'll post a series of images from the cameras. Regarding the lenses, the Biotar is much clumsier to use, being a semi-auto construction that requires cocking to full aperture after each exposure, while the Pancolar has an automatic diaphragm. However, in terms of image quality, there is little by which to tell the lenses apart. The Pancolar, being a more recent lens, has improved coatings and handles strong light and bright surfaces better than the Biotar, but they both display great resolving power and good contrast. Let's just say that they're both great lenses; in the images I'll post I'll mark the Biotar images with a "B" and the Pancolar ones with (guess what!) a "P". The film was Ilford FP4 developed in PMK Pyro, with scans from an Epson V700. So, my heartfelt thanks to <strong>SP</strong>, without whom these images would never have existed.</p><div>00dZ0p-559045384.jpg.b7fecab05946535d029e4ff4b68fa12a.jpg</div>

<p>Great to see these classics restored, and by none other than our own SP. Like Paul, I would like to see a pic of him at work....maybe a trip to India by one of our members is needed!<br>

Your tones and sharpness are just amazing as usual, I just can't seem to get that quality....might have to improve my scanning technique. <br>

Oh, and don't mention the Rugby....</p>

<p><strong>Paul</strong> and <strong>Tony, </strong>I am attaching a picture of my "work bench"; really it is a " make believe" for a work bench. I converted one of my Drafting tables into this form. Some day, I would love to have an organized work bench. I work only with hand tools; so the present arrangement is good enough.<br>

Thanks everyone for the kind references. Thank you <strong>Rick</strong> for the opportunity and the nice write up.</p><div>00dZ6u-559056184.jpg.368927c2e14a4aa9bfc2338a93a4dc7a.jpg</div>

<p>Gobs? Isn't that putting it rather delicately. Was that a mountain gorilla or silverback that did that. I have used liquid electrical tape in the past on a couple of my Zorkis and feds where you really cant see it and they have been fine for 2 years.<br>

I have almost two identical Exas. One is the Exa II and the older one is just labeled Exa Thagee Dresden.<br>

First is the older Thagee Dresden</p><div>00dZ9t-559061584.thumb.jpg.2737e18e89c29885c28bc35a7d45ece8.jpg</div>