POTW_November 13th, 2015

Sanford

<p>An appealing image there, Sanford!</p>

<p>Brian, I must confess it took me a few minutes to grasp your concept. Initially, I was thinking Barbie = skinny + hungry = but can't eat anything because need to skinny - which made me wonder why the apple, not a cup cake, then I got it lol!</p>

<p>My shots this week are of some orchids (?) that flowered along the side fence recently. They have flowered before, but they only look good for one day, which basically means I have to notice them on the day they fully flower and grab some shots then and there. Luckily for me, it had just been raining (an almost everyday occurrence at the moment) and they had opened that day, so I got some nice shots. </p><div>00daDO-559223284.jpg.f74fbf8351e448b56297296a4530580f.jpg</div>

<p>Anthea, thanks for your comments: as I said before, the weather doesn't favour my photography in the UK at present (though John is doing pretty well!) so I'm reduced to borrowing my grand-daughter's Barbie doll. I found your orchid shots intriguing, because I associate orchids with beautiful delicate colours, and here you have bypassed that to concentrate strictly on form (actually the form of the flower is more reminiscent of an iris than an orchid). Anyway, the composition and fine detail makes them rather lovely, whatever they are.</p>

<p>Brian, thank you, I wasn't all that sure about the type of flower it was, hence the (?). As much as I love photographing flowers and nature, I'm pretty hopeless at identifying them most of the time. I will check it out, as you are more likely to be right than me lol!</p>

<p>Hosteen, I have had a similar experience and I rather liked the patterns too!</p>

<p>I just picked up an OMD EM5 to add to my collection. I thought the setup would be simple having owned an EP2 in the past but this is not the case so far. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of all the overlaid information in the viewfinder and rear screen except the stuff along the bottom???</p>

<p>Hi Sanford, congrats on the purchase. I will pass along a link to a very good 'how to set up OMD cameras' info page by Robin Wong that Hosteen kindly supplied to me. I hope you find the answers there. Here is the link: <a href="http://robinwong.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/the-robin-wongs-om-d-camera-cheat-sheet.html">http://robinwong.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/the-robin-wongs-om-d-camera-cheat-sheet.html </a></p>

<p>Sanford - set my EM5 up so long ago I've forgotten what I did - but try just repeatedly pressing the Info button on the back; that gives a number of changes of the information on the screen, including nothing at all, blinkies, and spirit level. Good luck! (Also try using it during playback).</p>

<p>Thanks John, I think I've got it set up pretty much the way I want it but not too sure how I got there. If the Oly photos I see here are any indication this camera should be capable if producing some excellent results. I followed the price of the "Elite" kit at B&H for some time and when it dropped to $449 down from $499 I went for it. The next day it was back to $499 and today its $899!</p>