Summicron DR

stephen_ascherl

<p>...thank you/interesting response! I still have the film cameras, nowadays only for display, but doubt I'll ever use them again. I use a base M9 which I think is a wonderful camera!...I also have a Summicron 50/2.0 V5, but the internet tells me the earlier Summicron DR is an interesting/historically important lens to use?...I really don't like to destroy things, but...</p>

<p>The 50 DR is one of the finest Leica/Leitz lenses ever made. No way should you do anything to modify it. If anything, sell it for its value (and that could be "high" if it is in really good condition) and help preserve it for posterity. The very fine Leica/Leitz M lenses are extremely popular with collectors and users, and becoming more so. Just look at eBay sales. I know for a fact from using various well-known and respected Service Facilities that they have many M lenses of all types shelved, waiting for CLA's.</p>
"My film died of exposure."

<p>There is, in principle, a way to do this without damaging the lens at all. The trick is to find a compatible focusing mount from a "rigid" mount lens of the same era, and then just transfer the optical element (which screws out of the focusing mount) to the other focusing mount. This is completely reversible. But, it is complicated by the fact that different optical elements had different focal lengths, which were matched to the focusing mounts that they were shipped with. My understanding is that the DR models all had the same focal length, so that only one version of the DR focusing mount was needed, but the rigid models had a range of focal lengths. So, you would need not only a rigid focusing mount, but one for the correct focal length. In the past, I have entertained trying to find one, just to have a lighter weight lens on my M3. I imagine that it would take a lot of looking to find a lonely rigid mount, especially of the correct focal length.</p>

<p>David</p>

<p>I have one (probably just a "user") too and am <em>not </em>planning to have it altered. If you can afford to keep film bodies for display, an additional 50mm lens doesn't harm. On my digital Ms I could still use the close up range or behead it and adapt it to the pocketable copy stand, so it isn't entirely useless.<br>

For digital exploration of my old glass collection I got some MILC with adapters. - I'm curious what my various Jupiters Industars Helioses and Pentax lenses might be like, compared on a neutral platform. <br>

Pardon my ignorance; is the DR 'cron head supposed to be optically different from an ordinary 'cron's head of the same vintage focal lengths variation aside?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I really don't like to destroy things" <em><strong>Stephen A.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then don't.<br /> "<em>Don't forget, they're not making any more of these<strong> legendary</strong> DR Summicrons</em>..." <a href="/leica-rangefinders-forum/00c5ty">Oct 23, 2013 thread</a> <click</p>

<p>The bottom (close-range) focusing cam of the Dual-Range Summicron bumps into the housing for the light meter sensor on the digital M cameras.<br>

If you want the same look, swap out for a "Rigid Summicron" of the same vintage. Same optical formula. <br>

I would not try and swap around lens heads, too much risk of making two lenses that don't focus accurately.</p>

<p>The lens head unscrews from the DR focusing body, but the non-DR Summicron of the same vintage is fixed. If you have a Summicron 50 v5, use it! There's nothing magical about the DR or non-DR version, and you have a focusing lock to cope with every time you approach infinity. The v2 Summicron does not do as well on a Sony A7 as a much cheaper Nikon 50/1.4 AIS.</p>

Hi Stephen, I use my 50mm DR on a

Panasonic GX1 M4/3 body. It's true

that the field of view is that of a 100mm

lens, no longer a 50mm, but the

advantages far outweigh that change.

GX1 bodies cost about $250 now.

The Leica M mount to M4/3 adapter

was about $100.

No need to alter the lens in any way.

You can use the close focus range

without the goggles by shifting over the

"hump", and depressing the lock

button.

Because of the crop factor the close

range gives quite significant macro

capability.

The results are astounding. Check it

out for quite a small investment!

Best wishes,

David

<p>"The lens head unscrews from the DR focusing body, but the non-DR Summicron of the same vintage is fixed."<br>

I'm pretty sure that the rigid Summicron, introduced in 1957, had the same removable optical unit as the DR. I have read in various places that the Leitz technicians hand picked the best optical units for the Dual Range, for instance here:<br>

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/05/ebay-treasures-the-7element-summicron.html<br>

But, I have no idea where this story comes from or if it is true.<br>

David</p>

<p>The "Rigid Summicron" is optically a twin of the DR. Unless you use the DR for close-up photography, it has no advantage over the Rigid Summicron. Try to get someone to trade your lens for a Rigid Cron.<br>

Another option is to sell your lens and to buy another type of 50mm lenses. Maybe a Zeiss ZM 50/1.5 Sonnar?</p>