Tamron 90mm for Canon, on a Nikon D700 body

ana_negri

<p>Hello everybody,<br>

I live in south america, where prices go high on taxes when buying photo equipment.... I need a macro lens and also a portrait lens so I became interested in the Tamron 90mm 2.8f.<br>

I have found a VERY good deal on a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Autofocus Lens, but it's for CANON. And I own a Nikon <strike>D300</strike>D700. I can find a cheap lens adapter here, but I'd like to hear your opinion in the quality of the lens, being used with an adaptor.<br>

Also, I'd like to know if the Canon Tamron will cover a full frame (FX) body like my D<strike>D300</strike>D700's and if i will be able to use the auto focus function.<br>

Many many thanks on advance,<br>

Ana Lucia</p>

<p>When you mount a Canon EOS lens with an adapter onto a Nikon body, you will not be able to focus to infinity, which might not be an issue since you are capturing macro. However, you will also not be able to control the aperture, i.e. stop down for more depth of field.</p>

<p>If you were willing to forgo the autofocus, you could probably pretty easily and inexpensively find a used Tamron SP 90/2.5 in the Adaptall system (model 52B). It is a great macro lens as well as a very good all purpose 90mm lens. I've had one for years and love the capability to switch it among my SLRs/DSLRs/M4/3 bodies. It was designed for full frame (35mm use) so you can use it on full frame or cropped frame bodies. Here's a link to the Adaptall page: http://www.adaptall-2.org/</p>

<p>Just don't. Wait for a deal on a Nikon fit lens. The Tamron 90mm Di Macro is a very good lens, but now slightly outdated by Tamron's introduction of a VC version. So there should be some good deals on all fits of the older non-VC lens. All versions of the Tamron 90mm macro were designed to cover full-frame.</p>

<p>BTW, when and where did you get your DX D300 converted to FX Ana? You should go back there and get it converted to a Canon mount as well.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>" ...Tamron SP 90/2.5 in the Adaptall system (model 52B). It is a great macro lens..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not really. Those early f/2.5 versions only focused down to 1:2, so they're not true macro lenses.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>BTW, when and where did you get your DX D300 converted to FX Ana? You should go back there and get it converted to a Canon mount as well.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Rodeo Joe, I am sure you are well aware that is merely an error/typo in the OP's post. Let's not dwell on that.</p>

<p>I have the 90mm Adaptall and pretty soon replaced it with a 100mm AF lens because if I stopped down to f8 or beyond it generates some weird colored aperture shaped spot in the image center (especially on digital, Pentax *istD in my case). - Maybe it is just my copy of the lens to blame, but if you look at one try to do that hands on taking a severely stopped down test shot.</p>

<p>RJ - you can use their 2x converter or an extension tube to get to 1:1. The lens design is optimized for close/macro work - and is classified as a macro-range lens.<br>

JS - I never experienced that on film or digital, but the lens is subject to flare without a hood as the front element isn't recessed very much and doesn't have a built in hood like the famous 105 Kiron or Nikon 105 AF Micro-Nikkor.</p>

<p>Dear all,<br>

many thanks for your replies. I won't go for that lens, and I'll just wait a bit for another opportunity.<br>

Indeed I have a D700 and not a D300! :/ I'm always mistaking the name because my partner has a D3... Anyway, don't underestimate peruvian technicians, i'm sure they can adapt EVERYTHING. :D<br>

Thanks! Cheers :)</p>

<p>Ana, I updated your thread title from D300 to D700 and also updated your opening post.</p>

<p>Another option is to look for the older Nikon 105mm/f2.8 AF or AF-D macro lens, or perhaps an even older 105mm AI/AI-S macro. I still own the 105mm AF macro I bought way back in 1990, and it continues to be an excellent lens today.</p>

<p>Indeed. I agree with Shun that there's very little difference in performance between a 105mm AF micro-Nikkor and the Tamron 90mm macro. I have both and I'd have to look at the EXIF data to tell which pictures were taken with which lens. IIRC I paid less for my used 105mm AF micro-Nikkor than I did for the Tamron brand new.</p>

<p>Although a manual focus lens works well for macro use, I think AF is much more useful and important for portraits. So I'd hold out for a good deal on an AF macro lens.</p>

<p>FWIW, I don't think there's a bad macro/micro lens on the market today. Tokina, Sigma, Tamron or whatever. I don't think you'll go wrong with any make of 90 to 105mm macro lens, and they'll all cover full-frame at that focal length. Although you might want to avoid early Sigma stuff. I had a real stinker of a 90mm AF macro from Sigma back in the 1980s.</p>

<p>I definitely wouldn't recommend the adaptall version of the Tamron90 mm lens on digital either, I still have one from my film days and whilst its sharpness is still hard to beat, it does generate some rather unpleasant coloured highlights in the background if used on digital cameras. If you can get one of the newer AF versions of this lens actually designed for digital cameras and for the Nikon F mount I think that you will be very happy with its performance. Alternatively the older version (one before the heavier current model with VR) of the Sigma 105mm macro lens is also very good. I take it the taxes only apply to brand new camera equipment? If that is the case, then maybe your local eBay might be an option to find decent secondhand macro lenses at affordable prices.</p>