red tinge in RAW pix with Nikon D7200

rajesh_kallaje

<p>Hi all, got a new D 7200 today and tried taking pictures. When I transferred the photos to computers, I discovered that all RAW pictures had a reddish tinge which covered the entire photo. The tinge also made the photo dull. The pictures are unusable. This was not found in JPEG files and they are quite normal and results in JPEG are excellent. I am unable to make out the reason. Something that I am doing wrong? I did not face any such issue while using the same lenses with Nikon D 7000.</p>

<p>I think this is just about not knowing what raw is, and isn't.<br /> <br />Raw is not a setting, it is a philosophy. The camera settings like White Balance and color profile are NOT in the raw data. Raw is raw, like raw meat, unprocessed. We process it by applying that type of settings in raw later, after we can see it, and be smarter about what it needs, and can judge how it helps, or if something else is better.</p>

<p>We can apply similar default actions in raw (like the default actions in the camera), but if we're going to care, we need to pay attention and care to do it right.</p>

<p>See http://www.scantips.com/lights/shootraw.html</p>

<p>I agree with Wayne about RAW but what I am saying is about a clear red wash over the RAW images and RAW images only. JPEG pix are normal. And these RAW images are unusable and cannot be processed into a better image just like how you can't perfectly sharpen a blurry image.</p><div>00dgql-560252284.jpg.ccce9fc006353e70862b6016516df47f.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>I just transferred the pictures into my computer and open the pictures in the card only and the tinge was visible. Then I transferred the images to picasa photo editor and it was again very clear.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Rajesh-<br>

First of all it is unlikely that you are seeing the RAW image in either case. What computer are you using? When you "open the picture in the card" some software application in your computer is used to display the image, (and probably not the RAW image). Picasa editor does the same, probably displaying the embedded jpeg image from the file, and this gives you no problem. Your problem probably lies in the default software in your computer that is used when you simply view the images. Color management problem, I would guess.</p>

<p>Hi<br /> The image you posted has already a clear magenta (I think) color cast and is a Jpeg, therefore it is difficult to know if this was produced during the RAW conversion but it is likely as if we take the cast out we get an image that seems to have the correct colors and contrast.<br /> Nikon NX2 converter was probably the only one that would recognize camera settings as white balance, the others show a first conversion according to their own defaults and sometimes they need to be worked out to reach the results you're after.<br /><br /></p><div>00dgrt-560253584.jpg.e2255fe4dae16e52fcfce397d35761c9.jpg</div>

<p>Rajesh, download Nikon's free ViewNX 2 program to view your RAW files properly. Relying on the Windows (or whatever) RAW codec is no way to judge the quality of files. Maybe the codec needs updating since there's 5 years between the D7000 and the D7200. Nikon will almost certainly have altered the metadata structure of their RAW files in that time.</p>

<p>Go here: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/software/viewnx2/</p>

<p>A JPEG image is produced from the sensor's raw data, so if you have a satisfactory JPEG image, then the RAW file is almost certainly fine.</p>

<p>Incidentally the example shows no red bias on my laptop screen. It's blue if anything.</p>

<p>Yes, the sample image is ugly. As others have suggested, some problem in converting the RAW file. I suggest getting a good raw conversion program (Capture NX2, the Adobe products, or just open the file on a Mac). Let us know what you find.</p>

<p>The sample you posted definitely has an ugly cast. My conversions from Nikons certainly don't have that problem.</p>

<p>Dear Sebastian, Michael Bradtke, Rodeo, Antonio, Mike, Wayne and SHun, thanks a lot for the help and suggestions. Dear Rodeo, I downloaded the viewnx2 software and the magenta/red tinge is not visible there but for one converted photo from RAW to JPEG which I have shared with you all. Will try to find out the reason now. Usually I don't process the photos at all except cropping/filling light/shadowing. Thanks once again for the help.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Usually I don't process the photos at all except cropping/filling light/shadowing</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then why shoot in RAW ?<br>

If RAW Always requires processing before you can do anything with the picture and before you reach optimum result, otherwise you are Always looking at the "mini Jpeg" included into the raw file..</p>

<p>Michael, I never said it didn't have a colour cast, just that the cast looked more blue/magenta than red. True enough, when I imported it into an image editor and neutralised the cast with the grey-picker, both the red and blue channels were reduced, with the blue channel getting slightly more reduction.</p>

<p>Rajesh, that particular subject may have fooled the AWB setting, since it's pretty much grey on grey. The only strong colour is the green/cyan iridescent collar of the pigeon and green foliage in the background - both of which are going to throw AWB in the magenta direction. The low contrast is more difficult to explain. Maybe something partially obscured the lens, or the lens was a bit misted up or dirty?</p>

<p>Below is my re-working to neutralise the colour and restore the contrast. Both of which would have been a lot smoother and higher quality from a RAW file rather than a JPEG.</p><div>00dgvK-560262284.jpg.e76624526058798a641346b120227324.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p><a name="00dgql"></a><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=2845441">Rajesh Kallaje</a>, Jan 15, 2016; 02:19 p.m.</p>

<p>I agree with Wayne about RAW but what I am saying is about a clear red wash over the RAW images and RAW images only. JPEG pix are normal.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Raw files are <em>not</em> images. They contain the data to produce an image, with a raw processing program. The "normal" jpeg was also produced from the data in that raw file, by some raw processor. The color caste you're seeing is almost surely due to settings in that particular raw processor. Maybe you're default settings were changed?</p>