Shutter stuck closed and mirror stuck up.

dan_lauer_schumacher

<p>Hi all-<br>

Few things to start out with. I have been reading the forums for 2 hours and couldn't find a answer. I have read both the manual and repair manual and can't find a solution. I've also googled the be-jesus out of this.<br>

<br />I was dry firing my recently purchased Bronica Ertsi. I was trying to figure out if the shutter timing was working properly. I suspected it was not because if I set it to 1 second I would hear the mirror pop up as I fired the camera and i could hear the shutter closed really quickly, 1/100 or 1/250th afterwards. On the third time, the shutter in the lens got stuck closed and mirror is stuck in the up position. I cannot advance the crank forward.<br>

<br />I bought the body off KEH.com and it was rated EX+. The Lenses were off ebay and being that the timing of them seems to be off in the lens. The battery was purchased today and I checked the manufacturing date and it was 2014. It is a sliver oxide. The battery check light is operating normally.<br>

<br />Finally due to the shutter being locked and the mirror stuck up, I cannot remove the lens and if i push the shutter release nothing happens. I've also checked the multiple exposure and shutter lock and they are in the proper position.<br>

<br />Any ideas on how to get the shutter to release so i can advance the the crank?</p>

<p>I had similar with a RB67 purchased in that state. I had to disassemble the cocking drive in the body, set it to the cocked position, then remove the lens and reassemble the body cocking drive. The lens shutter was not repairable, main cocking mount post worn significantly.</p>

<p>Unless you are really good with precision mechanical systems take it to a camera repair person or call KEH and ask them what the repair cost will be to remove the lens and reset the body for another lens.</p>

<p>The lens shutter might be disassembleable on camera to the point of getting the body to reset so that the lens can be removed.</p>

<p>It has been years since I had that camera, so I'm only making a guess. Try removing the battery and then reinserting it. Also, don't jam anything at this juncture. If you can't get it working, call KEH. They may be able to guide you thru a fix.</p>

<p>Check to see if the mirror is "jammed." If it has not returned to it's resting position, I think that your problem can happen. I had a GS-1 with that problem. I also had an ETRSi with a similar problem. If you remove the finder and focusing screen, you can examine the mechanical levers/pivot points on the interior side of the body. A little study will reveal how the thing works.</p>

<p>On the ETRSi, the teeniest tiniest drop of Nyoil on one of the pivot points fixed the problem. ONLY Nyoil, and applied with a needle oiler. A search on Amazon will find you the Nyoil. It's manufacturer packages it in little bottles, so you won't need to buy 6000 years supply! You can apply it with a toothpick, but a needle oiler with a SMALL needle is so much handier.</p>

<p>On our cameras of this vintage, these little annoyances are common, and are often fixable without having to resort to a complete professional CLA.<br>

Also........just for fun, check the battery voltage with a meter. I only use the Lithium batteries now. I had "opportunities" to try alkaline and silver oxide and do not even think of using them anymore. An Amazon search will find you the lithium in 6 packs. I would recommend you only use name brand ones like Duracell. Always check the "use by" date. Some of the ones you can find in drug stores are either expired or close to it.</p>

<p>Hope that helps. Keep us posted.</p>

i just noticed you said the lenses are from e-bay.

more than likely the lenses are your peoblem.

check the nose of the lens to see if its set to the

A position?

did you mount an uncocked lens on a cocked

body or vs vs?

yes take the battery out to see if it will release the lens shutter.

oh do you have a prism on it? which one?

The more you say, the less people listen.