Another Kodachrome retrospective

<p>Some of them might have been slightly underexposed, which boosts saturation and contrast on Kodachrome. From my Kodachrome days I know it was common to expose Kodachrome II (and later Kodachrome 25) at an exposure index of 40 or to expose Kodachrome 64 at E.I. 80. FWIW, I exposed my Kodachrome mostly at box speed. Not sure what the older Kodachromes (ASA 10) might have been rated. Thanks for the link.</p>

<p>Leiter is an interesting photographer. Most (if not all) of these pictures are in <em>Early Color </em>- which has now been reprinted by Stedl. I bought it when it first came out, and it's terrific.<br>

One note - he would sometimes use expired Kodachrome, just to get a different look.</p>

<p>Kodachrome0 we keep getting reminders isis missed.<br>

althoughh it is sad to newer things cause the discontiuation of older and really loved products.<br>

I think there are several reasons why I think we say it s end.<br>

Kodak was in serious trouble.<br>

Kodachome was based on 1930's technology/ and while it was an outstanding film. it was a very complicated process.<br>

similar thinking caus panatomic-x to be ended and only pluis - x to remain.<br>

Ektachome had vastly improved and someone saw no real need for another film.<br>

ASA 64 was a decent sped, but some simpler cameras with dx autoi settings would not set at 64. iso 100 would have been better.<br>

slides were rapidly becoming obsolete.<br>

and only color print film was filling market needs.<br>

most people wanted a Print, not a slide.<br>

new cameras oftn could not cope with the narrow exposure latitude of a slide film.<br>

and of course digital was kickinh down the door.<br>

sad but thats how things go.<br>

I may or not be a Luiddite, but I thill think my 1950 Ford or my 1952 studebaker was a better<br>

car than others I have owned.</p>