Businessman buys photograph of a potato for 1 million euros

bobatkins

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why the photos on his site are especially good. The pill bottle and picked over chicken may be

slightly interesting to someone but I don't get it. His portraits are straight on and really don't tell us anything about

the subject or show emotion.

I can't understand why his work is so sought after.

FWIW I think it was a stunt.

<blockquote>

<p>His portraits are straight on and really don't tell us anything about the subject or show emotion.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I take that to be just his point. I think he's looking at people as he does other objects, and not for their inner emotions or personal identity. To me, it's a breath of fresh air to find someone intentionally objectifying people through photography, which can be very much about the look of things and not about the soul of things. In a sense, the series, for me, breathes a new kind of life into the objects shown and tells a story of ways in which people, from a certain perspective, are objects. It's what we are to the drug companies who make those pills, by the way, which he may or may not have had in mind. The red haired woman followed by the red-hued potato is saying something about their connection, not necessarily about the person and the potato each in themselves. <br>

<br>

I'm not saying any of this, Lynn, to convince you to like this series, and I honestly haven't approached it that way for myself, as a matter of like or dislike. But I do think there is something to be understood here, and figured I might as well convey to you some of my own understanding of it.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>How to play the post-modern art game:</p>

<p>1. Have an idea which requires no talent or effort (e.g, rephotography, potato, crumpled paper).</p>

<p>2. Be the first to do it.</p>

<p>3. Become wealthy.</p>

<p>4. Get publicity.</p>

<p>5. ?</p>

<p>6. Rule the world.</p>

<p>'Chacun à son goût', as they say in Monaco.</p>