which standard zoom

johncox

<p>After being a fine art guy that only shoots film I'm looking at buying into canon. I like the 24-70 2.8 usm II But would like IS, are the f4 IS and the 24-120 f4 IS worth looking at? Or would I notice a loss of image quality? The body I'm looking at is the 5ds r.</p>

<p>John the 24-120mm is a Nikon lens. Canon has a 24-105mm 4.0 IS lens. The simple answer is that either one of the three you reference will be a welcome addition to your prospective 5DS R. I use both the 24-70mm II and the 24-105mm depending on what I'm going to be doing. Haven't used the 24-70mm 4.0 IS but hear great things about it. Some people have one or another as their favorite. If you're in doubt get the 24-105mm IS lens because it is the least expensive, these modern cameras do higher ISO so well that 4.0 is not a problem and it has the longest range and is lighter than the 24-70mm 2.8 II. Don't overthink it just get one and go out and take pictures. Good luck!</p>

<p>I used to have the old Canon 28-70 f2.8 L which was a very fine lens. I swapped it for the Canon 24-105 f4 L because it had a more useful zoom range, it had IS, and was a bit lighter. The IQ for the 24-105 is not as good as the 28-70 but I use it much more.<br /> So very like what Gil said - there is no absolute best lens in this category. Just the one that suits your requirements best.</p>

<p>I think Canon would suggest you get either of the 24-70s for the 5DSr on the assumption that you are wanting to maximize resolution. I very much like the 24-70II and I like the f2.8 for the greater bokeh possiblities, but there is no doubt that 24-105mm is a nicer range, but you take some performance hit as a result - this may annoy you with 50MP, I really don't know. But, there again, unless you can compare the lenses directly you probably will never really know either.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>I have a Canon 24-70 f2.8 (first version), 24-105 f4and a 17-40 f4. Currently shooting (very occasionally) with a Canon 5DIII.</p>

<p>The 24-70 unfortunately is just gathering dust. The 24-105 I use occasionally. The 17-40 is on the camera the most.</p>

<p>But maybe that's just me.</p>

I used to have a 24.70 f 2.8 but sold it and uses a 24-105 as my general lens for a few years. I decided recently that a smaller, sharper

24-70 f4 was better for me. It is a great lens. While slower, image quality rivals the f2.8 and it is much easier to haul around. In general, I

like it a lot and will stick with it but I sometimes miss the extra length of the 24-105. All three are fine lenses. None are perfect. You make

the choice that works best for you.

<p>I have had both the 24-70 I and the 24-105, and while I can't say they are bad lenses, neither was as sharp or micro-contrasty as I thought it should have been. The 24-105 was great in full light, but produced drab images in less than optimal light. And while the 24-70 was clearly better than the 24-105, it still wasn't as good as it should have been, given its high price tag.</p>

<p>The 24-70 II is in a completely different class. It is generally regarded as the finest standard zoom SLR lens ever made, and I have to concur with this assessment. Since getting mine, I've been tempted to sell all of my faster normal and wide angle primes, since it clearly matches or bests them optically. (I've only held onto the primes because of those rare occasions when I need a little more speed.)</p>

<p>I've never missed the IS of my 24-105, and would recommend the 24-70 II without reservation.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think those that have the 24-105L (including me) have it for it's versatility, it is good at most things but it gives up a small degree of sharpness and has some distortion. The 24-70Ls are more focussed (pun intended) on sharpness and good bokeh. If I used the 24-70Ls I would need many more lens changes as the most used range for my subjects is 35 to 100mm, all shot at around f8. For fine art I think I would go chasing resolution and minimal distortion. The 24-70Ls were made for this.</p>

<p>It would be best to refer to this list of recommended lenses for the 5Ds r as some of the older lenses won't match the resolving power of the that camera. There are other modern lenses made by other manufacturers that would also be acceptable. The Tamron 24-70 has good reviews. http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-releases-recommended-lenses-for-eos-5ds-eos-5ds-r/</p>