Rolleicord Vb.

<p>Been out shooting with my Rolleicord, which is of course, the "poverty" pack Rolleiflex, with no auto loading, the focus knob on the wrong side, and a somewhat duller screen.<br>

The "Cord does however, offer you an intro to the world of Rollei for a quite moderate cost, and what you still get get is that wonderful Rollei build quality, plus the really pleasing four element Xenar lens.<br>

The Rolleicords may be built down to a budget, but they remain as reliable and quality picture takers. The Rolleicord offshoots have been around since the start of Rollei production, and the one I have used here is the last iteration of a long line.<br>

The Vb differs in having a larger focus knob and more importantly, the removable hood, so that the prism finder can be attached.<br>

The Xenar lens that graces this camera has been a feature for a lot of the Rolleicords production, with the earliest ones having the three element Zeiss Triotar. I really like the Xenar, it is very sharp stopped down, and still has a pleasing roundness to the image a wider apertures.<br>

Some of these images were taken earlier in the year, some recently, and all on the Southern Highlands of New South Wales in various places....not a beach image to be seen!</p><div>00dYzk-559042384.jpg.9446081892b7e584b614d54cd17810d7.jpg</div>

<p>Nice work, <strong>Tony</strong>! "Pine and Broken Grave" is a stand-out. Despite being a poor cousin to the Rolleiflex, the Rolleicord is eminently usable, as you've shown, and the Xenar lens leaves little to be desired. It must be a Tri-X and Pyro weekend downunder; I've just posted some stuff from the same combo in the "Weekend" thread. Will we still be talking after the World Cup... ;-)</p>

Very Excellent results Tony. Haha not a beach shot in sight ..too funny. Love the look and the

compositions. The one church reminds me of another poster... too long absent ..GeneM. That comment

about the focus on the wrong side??? I used a YashicaD for years and I find it odd to use a the Rolleiflex to

focus on the left .... that's weird!!

Lovely work Tony !!

<p>Rolleicords are lovely cameras and the Xenar is underrated. It was after all good enough to be fitted to many Rolleiflexes. A Planar or Xenotar will have sharper corners wide open but you have to make larger prints to really notice a lot of difference. Closed down a bit, I doubt many people would be able to tell a Xenar shot from one of the other two. Earlier Rolleicords up to and including the V had both focus and wind knobs on the right side, and I don't mind them at all. Va & Vb have the left side focus knob like a Rolleiflex, and these are also very capable. Which is preferred probably comes down to personal preference. Thanks for the post Tony, good photos.</p>

<p>Thanks Brett, you are quite right in your summation. The four element lenses were plenty good enough for the early Rolleiflexes, and even those early Automats turned in some amazing quality.<br>

Some confusion about my comment about the focus on the "wrong" side. I actually meant the wrong side for a Rolleicord, and as far as I'm concerned, the Vb has it on the right side....that should be as clear as mud!</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Hi, I just purchased a Rolleicord VB model 1. I knew it had a locked shutter cock when I bought it. It is out right now getting a full CLA by a very reputable technician, I’d rather not mention his name. He called me and told me the film advance knob doesn’t stop automatically at the next frame. He found that odd and is having trouble fixing that component. He was wondering if the earlier ones didn’t stop automatically, and you would just stop at the number in the viewfinder. Does anyone have information in this?  Thanks  Mike