Which Camera Should I Buy?

gordon_greenfield

<p>I'm looking for a camera with the following traits...<br>

<br />1) Must be able to switch out a fast fixed lens and telephoto zoom. <br>

2) Silence is golden. I shoot at events that require as silent a camera as possible. I can live with a little noise, as I know that the shutter is going to cause some noise in an SLR... but less is better. <br>

3) Lots of video. I'll be shooting a lot of video that will be used on a blog, so it only needs to be web quality, but it must do it well and be relatively user friendly to operate... I'm new at this. <br>

4) Wireless connection. I'd like to be able to connect to a microphone remotely for video sound. <br>

5) Cost = about $1,000 that will include the camera, fast standard lens and a 55-250 telephoto zoom, flash, tripod and bag. <br>

<br />Does such an SLR camera exist? If not, what is my best bet? All suggestions appreciated!!! Thank you in advance for your advice. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't know if such a camera exists that's very good quality, but as long as you're not blowing the pictures up to be used, you could probably get away with around 10 MP. That being said, you're not going to get a terribly nice lens from it if you buy the standard lens, so I'd buy a body as opposed to a body+lens combo. I would recommend the Nikon D60 (which clocks in at 10.2 MB). The kit lens isn't great on it, so I'd get a good 50mm lens for it. Keep in mind you'll need an Eye-Fi card to use wifi capabilities</p>

<p>Given the focus on video and silence, I'd have a good look at mirrorless cameras, rather than DSLRs. They're also more likely to have wifi in the price bracket you describe. I'm far from an expert on mirrorless, and even less for video, but usually the Panasonic cameras get pretty high grades for video. Getting all you want for $1000 is probably going to be tight, though.<br>

Hopefully a member who is more mirrorless-savvy will jump in.</p>

<p>As for the Nikon D60, it does do no video, and video isn't Nikon's strong card - if you really want a DSLR, I'd look at Canon for video rather than Nikon (and I'm a Nikon user, so no fanboi talk this time).</p>

<p>I completely forgot about the video bit. If you're looking for video I wouldn't use a Nikon, I'd use something else. I would look at what Jack and Wouter are saying and get a mirrorless camera- though fitting within the $1000 budget is going to be a bit difficult. I'd imagine you're going to have to skimp a bit on some of the items you're getting. You can usually pick up some pretty reliable flash units and bags used online for cheap, though you'll want to make sure the condition is good. I haven't actually used a mirrorless cameras a whole lot, but if I were you I'd check out the Olympus Pen that Jack is recommending (Olympus Pen cameras tend to be rather high quality, and it comes with a flash unit if bought new apparently). I'd also recommend you get a flash diffuser, they can be picked up for super cheap and will make the flash a lot less harsh in darker environments.<br>

Also a plus with micro four thirds camera such as the aforementioned Olympus is the lenses are a bit cheaper (the fact that they don't have a mirror means less glass in the lens). You can pick up some pretty good lenses for relatively cheap.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

I am also new here but been

shooting for 20 years now

(not a pro) started with a

old Pentax 35mm it was a lot

of burning/wasteing film if I

can help. buy the best DSLR

camera you can afford there

are many great one's Nikon

Canon and so on my first

Nikon was the Fx1 now I have

a Nikon D750.