Wide angle zoom lens with good macro?

noah_pardee

<p>Hello Photo.net community,<br>

I am a pretty experienced photographer who runs an Ebay camera store and I'm looking for some suggestions about my next lens. I use two lenses right now and would like to go down to one if possible. The two lenses and cameras I use are a Canon EOS 40D (with a split microprism focusing screen) w/ a Manual focus Tamron Adaptall 90mm F2.5 macro lens and a Canon 5Dc w/ a Canon 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 lens. I have to take pictures of items as small as a quarter and as large as 24"x24" regularly so I need both the macro capability and wide angle. Does such a lens exist that has both macro zoom and wide angle capabilities?My budget is about $1000.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Noah (That_Canon_Guy)</p>

<p>It would be nice if there was a jack of all trades which could do everything you want and do it well, but in reality you wil get compromises on each end of the spectrum by trying to use one lens to do it all. You already have a good combination.</p>

<p>You know that using a wide angle lens up close can lead to serious perspective distortion? Unless your shooting space is severely limited, I don't think you need a wide angle lens to shoot an object 24" X 24" A 50mm lens at 6 feet covers about 2 X 3 feet on a crop sensor.<br>

Maybe a better choice would be the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens. It's extremely sharp and should be wide enough for most small product work.<br>

Almost all of my product photography is shot with this lens.</p>

<p><Chas><br /><br /></p>

<p>A new Chinese company called Venus Optics makes a 15mm f/4 macro lens, full frame compatible - so really ultrawide - that focuses down to 1:1. It's manual focus and aperture.</p>

<p>I'm not aware of any wide angle zooms that can really be called macro, though some do ok on the long end.</p>

<p>The Venus optics looks interesting, but in your case, not being a zoom, would be just another lens to carry. Don't know what 'limited barrel distortion' means; little pictures look sharp enough, and having perspective control option for APS C cameras (only) is pretty good</p>