Snap Shot Camera

johncox

<p>I need a camera that can take photo paper, and down the road glass plates. I want to be able to hand hold this ( at least with the paper) with a 90 SA.<br>

I have some experience using a Dayi 6x12 as a Rangefinder and I'd be fine with a Dayi 4x5. But before I buy I'd like to know if there is anything else I should look at. I'd also like to know if there is any reason to go for one back type over another (IE which brand is less expensive and more prevalent)<br>

I know this is an oddball question so thanks for your time.</p>

<p>I did a bit more research and I was complety wrong. The paper I was looking at had an average iso of 6. That gives me 1/60'th at 5.6 on a sunny day. I have a 65mm, but it still looks like I'm using a tipod.<br>

Any suggestions for a field camera?</p>

<p>john<br>

the way paper companies rate their paper isn't realitive to the way film is rated.<br>

depending on the paper and the light paper can be rated anywhere from below 1 iso to about 24.<br>

you might consider coating your own paper negatives so you get used to whatever emulsion you<br>

end up using. ive been using rockland colloid emusions for glass and paper since the 1980s and <br>

recently started cooking up my own emulsion for hand coating as well. <br>

with regards to the camera, you want to do hand held work, maybe you should look into a press camera<br>

or a graflex slr, or look for something bostic and sullivan used to sell called a "hobo"</p>

<p>good luck !</p>

<p>I've got to ask why? Why use bromide paper in a camera?</p>

<p>If you want the paper negative effect, surely it's easier to just shoot on film and then sandwich the film with a sheet of suitable paper after processing, to print through. Or coat your own emulsion onto art paper. You should be able to get a reasonable speed using modern emulsion granules - if they can still be bought!</p>

<p>I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that "Hyper Speed" direct positive paper to be available. Vapourware like this is announced all the time, and rarely makes it to market. And if it does it usually doesn't live up to its hype. There's a world of difference between making a prototype product and getting a marketable and affordable product out there.</p>

<p>LF camera backs have been standardised for over 50 years. They all consist of a spring-loaded GG focusing screen that you slip a double-darkslide into in order to expose the film (or paper). There are also "international" backs where the GG screen is readily removable and can be replaced with a rollfilm holder or polaroid back. International backs are also standardised, as is implied by the name. Obviously a camera with an international back is slightly more versatile.</p>

<p>I really want to do the develop by inspection process. My scanner also won't take 4x5 negatives but will take a paper that i can invert so that rules out ortho.<br /> I have a 6x12 camera that I use for nice contact prints, and while I'd like large prints, its impossible to find an enlarger that will do anything larger that 6x6 in my area. I'm pretty much stuck contact printing or scanning my large negatives.<br /> So, long story short, I'd like to play with large negatives but my printing capabilities are limited if I want to play with large format.</p>