Inexpensive Digital Still / Video Camera

<p>I need an inexpensive digital video/still camera just for posting on the internet. I'm far out of practice with digital technology so know nothing of what's available. This is only for selling on eBay and other basic documentation. I don't need interchangeable lenses but I do need accurate color auto-correct and good/close macro capability. My old Nikon Coolpix 4500 would be fine except the color correction failed and batteries are increasingly difficult to find. Also, I need better/longer video capability. My weak eyes would appreciate a bigger/brighter LCD screen too. Any help is greatly appreciated. Perhaps I should be looking for a DV camera with good still capability?</p>

<p>It depends on your expectations. </p>

<p>For convenience of operation, and if 720p HD (10 minutes in video length) is adequate, then I'd probably choose a Canon P/S camera made within the past 5 years; or a more recent model if you need 1080p. This will allow the possibility of buying a used camera - many Canon P/S cameras run on rechargeable AA batteries (some are AC adapter-capable) which is also an advantage, and stills are excellent. </p>

<p>In the alternative, camcorders will record long videos generally at the expense of compromised stills, but you can buy one of each if you shop carefully and buy pre-owned. </p>

<p>Just about anything made in the last 5-6 years will be a huge upgrade from the Coolpix 4500, and an excellent P/S can cost as little as $75 - $200 if you choose wisely. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'd go for a smartphone too, really. I'v got a Lumia 930 - does 4k video with suprisingly decent sound, shoots RAW still images with more resolution you'd ever for small internet images, stabilised lens which helps a lot when light goes low. No doubt a recent iPhone or good Android phone can deliver much the same, so plenty of good choices.</p>

<p>In my limited experience with a few smartphones, their weakness, other than resolution, is that their colour rendering in less than ideal lighting may not be very good. I think you'd get on better with a used recent model Panasonic P/S camera: video is always good in the Panny cameras and their Leica-derived lenses do a pretty good still photo too.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses, folks. I should have mentioned that I don't have a mobile phone because I no longer work and don't drive that much anymore. So, I don't need one for communication and must be frugal with my meager income these days. I could buy a used phone just for video and stills. For my video quality needs, 720p is plenty good.<br>

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.</p>

<p>The best way to do video is a video cam. The best way to do stills is a still cam. Mainly because of ergonomics. Try doing a slow smooth zoom on a DSLR with a mechanical zoom lens for instance... no good.<br /><br />I suspect you want a basic Point and shoot still cam. They all do video now.</p>

<p>Thanks, Peter. I know you're probably right and I'm open to buying separate still and video cameras.</p>

<p>I should mention that I bought a cheap Philips Qvida about a year ago and although it would do the job (while it worked) I wasn't happy with the lens quality. Also, I need very close macro capability... 1:1 would be great but a little less will work.</p>

<p>It's too bad the old Nikon Coolpix is on its last legs because it would have been fine for the still images.</p>

<p>Almost nothing beats a DSLR for indoor performance. You might not be able to avoid getting a removable lens camera. If you buy used it might not even cost that much, but if you go too far back you won't get video features. A 20d for <$100 would do the stills but not the video so expect to get something a little newer.</p>

<p>I should reiterate, I don't want to (can't) spend too much money on this camera (these cameras). I'd really like to keep the total spent below $200. Again, (other than video capability) this beat up old Nikon Coolpix 4500 would still be good enough (for stills) but it's too outdated and is malfunctioning, so I can't see the benefit of buying more batteries for it. For my needs, any old POS should be good enough. I just need decent stills/videos with good color correction and the still needs good close focus capability. This is only for basic web images.</p>