Google Picassa

louisetopp

<p>Louise .. if it does what you want it to why do you need to replace it .... I have a similar problem with Google Chrome not providing up dates for XP and VISTA .... I aim to stick to XP until the death ... mine probably :-) [ at 84yo perhaps quite a reasonable attitude :-) ]</p>

<p>I will look for a replacement. I want Lightroom, but I cant afford the £8 a month yet. is there an older version of Lightroom I could use whre I only paid yearly? I would like a similar programme where i can make gift CD's.</p>

<p>Also I have not had any message's on Picassa yet or an update message.</p>

• 5 weeks later...

<p>Lightroom adavantages - I am not yet using it at home, so surely a lot will be missing in my list:</p>

<ul>

<li>It handles oddball RAWs - Fuji's for example.</li>

<li>Really decent RAW converter compared to Picasa's generic one</li>

<li>Supports color management; you can also assort camera profiles you make with Xrite Passport color checker.</li>

<li>You can sort pictures shot by multiple cameras by real time, all you need is to shoot a reference clock and figure out how far each camera's clock was off (could be a few hours)</li>

<li>You can include stuff in meta data.</li>

<li>You can convert to other file types like Tiff16 if needed. </li>

<li>Supports tethered shooting with a few cameras but check if yours are among them. </li>

</ul>

<p>Drawbacks: the standard license is only for 2 machines but there are free Android / IOS apps. AFAIK it doesn't run on Linux, like Picasa.</p>