Body building (for camera handling) advice sources?

<p>I'm 45 & usually lazy. My absence of shape is accordingly, the rest somewhat healthy.<br>

I'm seriously(!) wondering what kind of domestic exercise I should do, to get ready for a Nikon with 70-200mm. I want to feel confident about upgrading from a tiny 1.175kg Pentax with 135mm f2.8 to an almost 3kg camera and suppose it takes muscles I don't have yet, to shoot it a couple of hours at once. - I don't want to hit a gym; I'll need that money for CF cards. <br>

Thanks in advance. - I hope somebody is (unlike me so far) into sports too and can link some pages, videos whatever.</p>

<p>I do 4 sets of 30 curls (bicep) and several other arm exercises with 8 or 10 pound dumbbells daily. Curls, side lifts, fly lifts, straight up over your head, <br>

It seems to work just fine ... I actually did some hand held video with a 200-400 f/4 lens and a lot of hand held video (up to 10 minutes) with a 70-200 f/2.8 lens.<br>

The only cost was for the dumbbells (about 35.00 for a set of three pairs, 2 pound, 6 pound and 8 pound). And it takes 30 minutes a day for 3 or 4 months to build up the muscle.<br>

</p>

<p>It is basically upper body strength needed here...but that includes your lower back and spine, as presumably you will be holding the camera during most of the time and not have it sitting on a tripod. The easiest exercises are would be walking and simultaneously doing arm curls with light weights or plastic milk jugs, sitting and doing the same, and just several reps stretching arms toward the ceiling while standing...if desired you could add weights later. Years ago a delicate female friend of mine told me that when she was at the police academy, she had to hold a 45 caliber pistol at full arms length steady for 5 minutes by graduation...thinking it would be a piece of cake I tried it...the results convinced me that I needed to build upper body strength, as I was interested in pistol target shooting and realized my shots would be all over the place. It really helped me with using telephoto lenses and playing the piano as well. Also practice breathing...deeply in and out, and don't hold your breath during exercise...it can easily lead down the road to a heart attack.</p>

<p>Lazy people don't change their ways, so don't waste your money on weights or any such stuff. Just get the lens and go out and use it. If you use it enough, you'll get stronger (I had a similar experience getting used to hand holding my 500mm). You really will get stronger.</p>

<p>I'm quite a bit older than you, and have tendinitis in my hands, so that hand-holding Nikon DSLRs (currently a D7100 and a D750) with heavy lenses is a challenge.<br>

<br />To prepare, I use a pair of 4 lb. (1.8 kg.) weights several different exercises for biceps, triceps and shoulders. A physical therapist told me to avoid lifting even such small weights straight up over my head, so I don't do it, but can't say if that would hurt anyone else. The other kind of exercise I do is to go out and shoot with the Nikons.</p>

<p>My answer wouldn't be complete without mentioning osteoarthritis in my left knee, which will get surgically replaced, probably in March or April. For now, with my surgeon's approval, I ignore the pain as much as I can. I do think that not paying attention to the pain--as long as what you're doing is not causing injury--is the key.</p>

<p>After a severe injury that included a broken neck and collarbone and a few other things, I started physical therapy, and one of the exercises I've had as an ongoing thing is the use of elastic bands. Weights work very well for many things, but for maintaining upper body strength and mobility, I find bands work pretty well. There are various routines one can do, and no doubt books and web sites that detail some of them. Various places such as Dick's Sports have bands (actually rubber tubing) in graduated strengths, and you can start with a very light one, and still get plenty of work out.</p>

<p>I think it may be a little easier to avoid injury with bands, as there is no weight or momentum to push you past capacity. </p>

<p>But I suspect David Stephens is right, and the best solution would be to get the equipment and then go out and use it, and the more you use it and the more you like using it, the stronger you'll get. Nothing beats getting out and walking around anyway. </p>

<p>Spending money isn't really necessary to get started. You can curl canned goods from the pantry and later cans of paint from the garage. Just do as many arm curls as feels comfortable to a 'set' to enable you to complete three sets. You can lift them over your head in sets to strengthen your shoulders, too. Then, get down on the floor and start doing push-ups. If even one is too dificult, just push your upper body leaving your knees bent and on the floor. Doing this regularly you will see results in a few days as your strength increases. Gradually add more repetitions. It is important to stretch before and after, as well. Stretches can be found online for your arms and shoulders. Don't forget your legs. Walking is the best exercise in the beginning. Gradually work up to carrying a backpack with a book or two and a bottle of water. Walking while carrying that lens will give you more discomfort in your shoulders, neck and back than holding it for a few moments at eye level. You are wise to consider this all now and prepare for it in advance. I'm already doing this and more in preparation for the spring launch of my canoe (I'm in Ontario).<br>

If you live in an urban centre consider walking a deserving neighbourhood or shelter dog to give yourself inspiration.<br>

Photography is just one small aspect of your life that will benefit from a regular physical routine.</p>

<p>IME, carrying a tripod around is as bad or worse for my body than just hand holding such a light lens as the 70-200mm. If you're trying to shoot birds in flight and other fast moving stuff, I guarantee that you'll miss way more shots than if you hand hold.</p>

<p>Gup makes a good point about the walking around, between shots, taking a toll. I use broad, cushioned straps to carry my 5DsR/70-200mm and 7D MkII/500mm between shots. The 500mm is hanging off one shoulder and the 70-200mm is around my neck. When walking long distances, I'll switch from shoulder to shoulder. There are lots of straps around that try to distribute the weight, including shoulder and waist strap/rigs. Those don't work for me, but some swear by them.</p>

<p>Everyone is recommending arm curls. Those won't hurt, but the problems that I feel are in the shoulders and neck, from carrying the rig around between shots. Carrying a tripod also produces stress on the shoulder, even with a cushion under the tripod. Getting relatively light weights at shoulder level and above can build strength there. Still, I recommend just getting your camera and going out and shooting. Be prepared to suffer through a little pain and tension and, hopefully, the motivation of seeing your images will be enough to carry you through the period of building strength.</p>

<p>I think carrying a large lens for a couple of hours is less about strength and more about endurance. If you are in studio, put it down when not shooting. If walking about, it is endurance you need. Not so much in the hands and arms, because how long do you actually hold the camera to your eye compared to the walking. Even when I am training for bodybuilding competitions, my shoulders and upper back still fatigue. I would suggest building endurance with progressively longer and longer shoots. Try cradling the camera and lens in the elbow when possible to move the resistance off the back and neck. It can also protect the camera from impacts as you walk and help foil anyone running or riding by on a bike ripping the camera off your shoulder and getting away. If you haven't seen the video of the russian tourist with his 70-200 hanging in front of him as a team of thieves bump into him, remove the lens, hand it off and disappear before the photographer knows what happened or who to chase. </p>

<p>Holding the camera/lens in the ready position to shoot, can, indeed, be tiring, but I assure you that walking around for hours with the rig hanging from your neck or shoulder is also tiring. You will need to work on both, using the camera, but you may need to build up strength and endurance. Hopefully your photographic result will inspire you to keep at it and build yourself up for the task.</p>

<p>I’ve been fortunate enough to work in teams with high performance Sports Physiotherapists: what I’ve gleaned from them is that posture and balance of the load apropos carrying gear and the camera holding for shooting are very important. <br>

<br>

It seems to me posture and camera holding technique is more important than having great physical strength for using a 70 to 200 over a stretch of several hours.<br>

<br>

A monopod can be useful for longer sessions (8 to 10 hours): I have Canon DSLR, the 70 to 200/2.8 has a tripod ring mount, I adapt that direct to the monopod (i.e. I do NOT use an head).<br /><br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p>Don't waste money on dumbells. Just mount the 70-200 on a D4. Lift, focus, shoot. Repeat about 500 reps a day and you'll be in shape in no time. :)<br /><br />Seriously, I'm 55 and have never exercised a day in my life (unless you count carrying camera equipment). To say that I'm out of shape would assume that I was actually in shape at some point. I was a 90-pound weakling until I turned into a 190-pound schlump. But I have no trouble at all with a Nikon D200 or D7000 body and a 70-200 2.8. It's just not heavy, IMHO. Perhaps my perspective is that two DSLR bodies and three zooms replace the two or three film bodies plus motor drives and a dozen primes that I used to carry.<br /><br />I don't stand at attention holding the camera all day. Sometimes it's on a tripod or monopod, other times I sit it down when nothing is happening. And I don't use a shoulder bag any more -- everything goes in a rolling case.<br /><br />The weight of photo gear can be a vary serious thing. I have known as least two photographers who have suffered serious back/shoulder injuries and been temporarily out of work for an extended period. But the average person doesn't need to go to the gym to be able to lift a camera.</p>

<p>I agree about carrying a tripod, but the OP hasn't mentioned carrying anything but a Nikon DSLR and the 70-200mm. I've never just carried that combination for any length of time so it doesn't sound too daunting a task to me. However, I would never carry even that around my neck for more than a few seconds because my neck is my achiles heel (word of advice... don't break your neck). Whether I'm deep in the wilderness seeking an obliging moose or hammering away at a bride and groom I always have at least four lenses, filters, a large flash, spare batteries, etc., in my shoulder bag at any time and it always gets heavy. My bag also snaps around my waist to help distribute the load. If I was to shed everything but the big zoom I would still carry it in that same Lowepro bag and just leave the lid unzipped for quick access. Often I don't even change lenses for hours but I still have to have everything with me... 'just in case'. Something many years in Scouting drilled into my head, for better or worse.<br>

When my tripod does accompany me, it is strapped into a proprietary boot on the back of my other Lowepro, which is a much bigger bag.</p>

<p>Different people will feel the weight in different places. I'm a lot older than you and don't have a great deal of arm strength, but I never find arm strength to be a limitation in photography. What I find to be a limitation is core strength. When you are holding the camera or dangling it from a strap, as opposed to carrying it in a backpack or with a Cotton Carrier, the weight is asymmetrical. I find that difficult on my often-injured back. I mitigate this with core exercises like planks and leg lefts on a roller that I do about 4 or 5 times a week. Apart from something like <a href="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XM2MXK8?ref=spkl_3_0_2286844622&qid=1452126046&pf_rd_p=2286844622&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_s=desktop-auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=0S5ZN32KSMT271W32H6P&pf_rd_i=exercise+roller">this</a>, the cost is zero.<br>

<br /> If you keep your left elbow against your body while shooting--good form for minimizing camera movement--the weight is much less noticeable.</p>

<p>My suggestion is that you go use it and see what--if anything--hurts after a few hours.</p>

<p>Dan said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /> If you keep your left elbow against your body while shooting--good form for minimizing camera movement--the weight is much less noticeable.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good advice. With more and more photographers coming from shooting smartphones and P&S cameras, held out in front of the body, proper camera holding is not as understood and intuitive as in past generations. I advise a lot of nature photographers on hand holding 400mm to 800mm lenses and a very common error is not getting the elbows in. A 70-200mm is long enough and heavy enough to where this starts to be important. Another error that I often see is not holding the lens at it's balance point. For some reason that I can't understand, many people think that holding by the tripod-foot is a good idea. Even if this is at the balance point, front-to-back, it moves the grip away for the center of gravity of the lens, requiring more strength to control the lens. Hold right on the lens, so that if you let go with your right hand, the lens will balance. (Be aware of the focus ring and don't accidentally change focus. The zoom ring is okay to hold).</p>

<p>Oh, one more thing, I occasionally advise someone that doesn't put their left hand under the lens. They're trying to control the lens/body with the right hand and twist the zoom ring with the left hand, with fingers on top of the zoom ring. The fingers should go under the lens, with the thumb and index finger nearest to the lens hood. You can get away with holding a dslr and a 50mm lens incorrectly, but you'll pay the piper when the focal lengths get longer. Held correctly, with Image Stabilization turned on, today's lenses provide the photographer with incredible flexibility to hand hold shots that would have required tripods a few years ago.</p>

I'd suggest getting a good monopod.

Otherwise its all about the neck and lower back, as these

are the parts that at the end of the day get most of the tension (especially when shooting action in lower light handheld). As

long as you can lift a simple shopping bag out of your car

- you should be fine with 70-200. And no, you don't want

to this lens attached to any body hanging down your

neck - use your shoulder and buy a comfortable strap for

the purpose.

Using a 70-200 lens does not take a lot of strength, but using something like a 500mm (or longer) super-telephoto is a different story.

But I do respectfully disagree with Craig's assertion regarding exercise. Being in shape does help. Try taking photos if you are breathing heavily. Dumbbells are dirt cheap. Check them out at Dick's Sporting Goods.

At the extreme end, Galen Rowell was a word class athlete and he took advantage of that. His book "Mountain Light" is a classic, copyrighted 1986, has great photos that have not been duplicated since then.

While being an athlete is not a requirement, it can be a big help, even for the endurance.

Haven't read the whole thread, so maybe it has already been said (and Craig indeed has said something along these lines), but the best exercise for anything is doing the thing you want to exercise for.<br>Time spent building up muscle groups that you think might be useful and working on fitness is time not spent on the thing you want to be fit for. And it is not as focused, does not train exactly those muscles that you need trained as well as doing something (and what might that be...? ;-) ) that uses just those muscles. Lifting dumbells gets you in great shape... for lifting dumbells. That's not the same, hence does not use the same muscles, as lifting a camera.<br>So get your camera gear, and go out and use it. Don't spend a penny on a gym, but put them towards those CF cards and whatever else you need to do what you want to do.<br>And that's a general rule: you get and maintain strength and fitness in those muscles you use. And the ones you use are the ones needed for doing the things you want to do, hence do. So just do what you want to do and forget about exercise.

<p>Our OP hasn't really said how he'll use his 70-200mm and he hasn't said if it's an f/2.8 or f/4.0. Most of us do NOT really need the f/2.8. If I were a wedding photographer, I'd want the f/2.8, but for shooting wildlife and some sports, my f/4.0 gets the job done easily, at much less weight than an f/2.8. Modern cameras produce really nice, clean files at ISOs up to 1600, so f/4 works in most situations. Even for portraits, mine has nice bokeh.</p>

<p>I hike a lot and carried a Domke F1 and a Nikon DSLR system. I just got tired of the weight and the distraction of changing lenses and all the lens caps. The tripod while hiking was a real pain. Finally I just gave it all to my son and bought a Olympus OMD EM5 and found it to be light, handy and a much better system anyway. However this year I decided to shoot film so now I am back to my Nikon F100 but I am going to just shoot my 50mm f1.8 lens all year. I am not going to carry a tripod around any more for life. However it's kind of nice with my spotting scope on it. The digital camera is going to chill out this year and we shall see about next year in 12 months. I am going to shoot Delta 400 and HP5 this year. I bought a kit to develop the film at home and scan. So far it's been a lot of fun and I am glad I made it my new years resolution. <br>

I am an avid cyclist and get a lot of exercise. However cycling does not make a weight lifter or a neck of steel from a camera strap trying to cut it in half.<br>

Anyway I suppose a backpack might help with your plans of carrying a bag of bricks around.</p>

<p>A 70-200 is only a little more than 3-1/2 pounds. My wife's exercise dumbbells weigh about that much. They're pink, but could be painted a more manly color. A big lens is more than a little clumsy on a plain neck strap, but I find it comfortable on a Sun Sniper, even for hours at a time.</p>

<p>For exercise, I stick to activities more relevant to Chicago living, with hearing protectors.</p>