Voigtlander Bessamatic.

<p>Further to my musings on the Bessamatic, I decided that it needed an airing, and a recent stay in the keepers quarters at the Greencape lighthouse seemed like a good opportunity.<br>

For this outing I took my Bessamatic deluxe, which is the second version of the Bessamatic and differs from the first in having a little mirror on the pentaprism housing so you can read the speed and aperture through the viewfinder.<br>

Another feature of the "deluxe" is that the chrome got shinier...and I like that! This camera was first made in 1962, and continued on until 1967 when the battery powered CS appeared.<br>

The Bessamatics, as I have said before, are my favourite leaf shutter SLR, just nice to handle and they look a treat, with that lovely quality finish that Voigtlanders had before the bean counters started to ruin them.<br>

The viefinders are really bright too, but like most LF SLR's you can only focus with the central split image spot, makes it a bit slow, but you do get used to it.<br>

I used the 50mm Septon lens, which as the name suggests, is a 7 element design, and a truly lovely thing. It has that slight softness with good detailing that sets good German lenses apart. The only downside is that it is very prone to flare, and like a lot of German lenses of that period, a tendency to have balsam separation.<br>

Now for some pictures....</p><div>00dp1F-561652084.jpg.76cd80a08d581b27dd617b5cc4751a14.jpg</div>

<p>Pretty nice pictures.</p>

<p>For some reason Bessomatic reminds me of the early years of Saturday Night Live, which has something called a Bass-o-matic. </p>

<p>Fortunately they have it on-line, so I don't have to explain it. Just don't get them mixed up.</p>

<p>http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/snl40-bassomatic/2847141</p>

<p>sorry for the commercial that it shows first. You have to get through that, first.</p>

-- glen

<p>I have been eagerly waiting for your write-up, Tony. Beautiful machine and very nice photos. I've heard the Septon 50/2 lens is a cousin of my favorite Ultron 50/2, and it shows the good details with pleasing contrast. One thing I noticed is that the sky shows a bit of grain, which is a bit surprising considering the IOS 100 film. Is it because of the film developer combination?</p>

<p>Thanks Glen, maybe where they got the name idea :) Yes Mike, like all LS SLR's they don't like to be left sitting around. Both mine work well, even the selenium meters are spot on.<br>

Thanks Bruce, the grain does surprise me too. My negs were a bit dense and that would account for the poor scans. The Delta I acquired recently and is way out of date, and because I'm not used to this film I just souped it in D76....got it a bit wrong!<br>

Thanks Robin, the Septon has climbed in value, they are not often seen, and the Bessamatics are usually found with the 2.8 color-skopar....still a very fine lens.<br>

Quite true Fred, they are very well made and only a sticky Compur shutter (or diaphragm) will let them down.</p>

Nice work Tony. That Sept on looks like a dandy of a lens. Shame about the separation.

Hopefully it won't get bad enough to affect the performance anytime soon. Nice looking

lighthouse too. Your posts always make me wish I lived near the ocean.

Thanks for sharing.

<p>Beautiful beast of a camera, <strong>Tony</strong>, and your usual fine results. Your trip out to Greencape was creative and productive; "The Tower at Sunrise" is statuesque and powerful, and I like the simplicity of the window image. I can't recall ever having seen a Septon in the flesh, but it's obviously a fine performer. I've yet to get entirely satisfactory results from Delta 100... Thanks for the post.</p>

<p>No problem Rick, the trip was very relaxing, and I did use a Nikon F2 plus a D610 as well. Didn't take that many pics though.<br>

You are right about Delta, not really convinced, and I still have a couple of rolls left so I may try it in Pyrocat.<br>

Attach a picture with the D610.</p><div>00dpEF-561681784.jpg.d11f4ba8b847f340731566eb633b1568.jpg</div>

<p>Talking about Bessamatic: during a recent trip to central Germany including Braunschweig, I felt obliged to take my Deluxe along and shot a couple of slide rolls with it. The meter is accurate, yet all the photos came out grossly overexposed. The ground was covered by snow and the sky was withish and so it is possible the meter got fooled in its readings, but I rather suspect that something is amiss with the shutter.<br>

So, my question: is there a DIJ way to roughly check the accuracy of the shutter in a Bessamatic? A professional checking would cost me more than the average price of the camera on German ebay. Many thanks</p>